View Single Post
Old 10-11-18, 04:41 PM   #3322
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumo30 View Post
Ah, zeppelins again being a little dishonest.

The song I posted; " Woman You Need Love" is Willie Dixon's song and not surprisingly it also has a "zeppelin connection". Whole Lotta Love's lyrics largely originated from Dixon*s "You Need Love". though the song was initially credited only to zeppelins.

There was also a lawsuit filed in 80's.

Yep, and LZ just the other day had their verdict of 'not guilty' in the case of plagiarizing the main riff of Stairway To Heaven tossed out by an appeals court and will have to go back to court to defend themselves again. The situation reminds me of a story told about Dustin Hoffman when he starred in Marathon Man opposite Laurence Olivier: Hoffman, a method actor, had a scene coming up where his character was to be shown as exhausted, so Hoffman ran, full tilt, around the film location site several times; Olivier came out of his trailer to find an exhausted, disheveled, sweaty Hoffman at the bottom of the trailer steps; Olivier said "Dear boy, you look a sight! What on earth happened to you?" Hoffman explained how he was prepping for the next scene; Olivier listened patiently and said, "You know, Dustin, you should really try acting the part. It's so much easier...". LZ probably should have tried just actually writing all their own songs: it would have been so much easier...

I was once talkingg with a young African-American guy who was trying to break into the music business and, like so many kids, had a bit of a disdain for "old music" and "old musicians". He was asking me about Rock music and its origins; in the course of our conversation, I brought up Willie Dixon and his many, many contributions to all forms of music; after I had rattled off a long listing of songs written by Dixon, preformed either by himself or others, songs on which he had either produced (he was the house producer for Chess Records) or was session player, and the long list of performers who recorded his works, the kid was shocked and said "Wow!! Willie Dixon invented Rock and Roll!!..."...

Willie, in his late 60s til his death, used to make regular appearances on a weekly Blues program here in LA on a local NPR radio station. He didn't perform, but he did discuss his life in the music world. What was really amazing was his ability to remember details about the sessions he produced/performed on/wrote down to specific musicians, dates, and other minutiae. He was one of the sharpest people around. When he won his case against LZ, he took the money and started a non-profit foundation, Blues Heaven, to help aging Blues and R&B artists who were ailing and/or were trying to get royalties owed to them; he also instituted educational programs for aspiring musicians; His widow eventually bought the Chess Records Building to serv as the Blues Heaven headquarters. Willie was an all around class act...

Willie, in his mid 70s, singing a song that may be familiar to Cream fans:

<O>