View Single Post
Old 05-09-12, 12:55 PM   #58
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Cheech Marin?
Oddly, he is viewed with ambivilence by the Latino political community. He does have supportive views of general Latino issues, but is not "Mexican enough" for the die-hard political activists. For them, he really has not spoken strongly enough on their key issues of immigation, etc. He is not enough of a raving ideologue to suit their tastes. Remember, Cheech was born in Los Angeles (native born American citizen) and is the son of a Los Angeles Police officer (his mom was a secretary, as I recall). Although I ,myself, am not Mexican, I know how the Mexican community view harshly those Latinos who are not Mexican or are not "Mexican enough". Marin is well-educated (college degree), well-read, is not very fluent in Spanish, is a patron of the arts, and really is not easy to stereotype as a "Mexican". He is also not a far left leaning liberal; he is rather more of a moderate on a great many issues. Aside from trotting him out to fill in the wide gap in the field of well-known/liked Mexicans at public functions, the Latino community seems to generally ignore him. I feel for his position since I have had to deal with far greater discrimination and ill-treatment from the Mexican community than from any other community here in Los Angeles...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribesman
But that would be even more disgustingly radical, those seperatists rejected the church and the state and formed a commune where everyone supposedly worked for and was subservient to the common good...bloody radicals from the 1600s eh.
Quote:
And they were illegal immigrants, too!
Reminds me of a bumper sticker I used to see in the late 60s/early 70s:

"The Indians Had Lousy Immiration Laws"...

Quote:
This would offend all on Capitol Hill and PA Ave. Sadly, the vessel will probably still have a loan due on it.
So maybe we should name the ship USS Loan and say we've floated a loan?...