View Single Post
Old 03-04-09, 05:07 AM   #3
Freiwillige
The Old Man

Downloads: 24
Uploads: 0

I can assure you that there is no arcade game in this "SIM"
The target identifiers are toggled in the difficulty settings. Terrain plays a huge role in combat. For example in the original version PS1 you can drive thru the bocage and use ambush tactics or you can find ditches and hills to get into a hull down position. In the second version "Bis" It has all the features that are done exactly the same in SF, with the ability to switch between driver gunner and commander all in first person. The desert's of Afrika offer less protection but there are still sunken or raised roads to use to find a hull down position. There are also hills and valleys. The A.I. is supurb and very authentic and uses historical tactics. If you are reffering to the scene in the video where the panther takes out several shermans. That is Ernst Barkman's scenario "Barkmanns corner" where the U.S. army was rushing to take the next town and drove right in front of Barkmann's Panther. From wikipedia "On the morning of July 27, Barkmann found himself in his Panther cut off from the rest of his company. While attempting to reach his unit, he was stopped near the village of Le Lorey where he was told by German infantrymen that the Americans were closing in with a large armoured column. Barkmann positioned his Panther under a stand of oaks near the crossroads where the American tanks would have to pass.
As the column came into sight, Barkmann knocked out the two lead Shermans and a fuel tanker truck. Next he destroyed two Shermans which had attempted to bypass the burning tanker. The Americans called in fighter-bombers, which damaged Barkmann's Panther and wounded two of his crewmen. Barkmann's next victims were two Shermans that had used the noise of the fighter-bombers as cover to sneak up on the damaged Panther's flank. As Barkmann's crew repaired the Panther, two more Shermans were knocked out. Finally, before leaving, Barkmann destroyed one last Sherman.

So as a player for years of both of these sims I can say that only SF comes close.
Freiwillige is offline   Reply With Quote