View Single Post
Old 04-02-17, 12:47 AM   #18
BarracudaUAK
Captain

Downloads: 33
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post

The only real hassle is when an application is installed where does it go? and since they are not exe files I'm finding it hard to figure out how to work with them, what ever they are!!!
I am quite familiar with MSDOS and even better the CP/M systems. (showing my age again) I preferred these but that was many years ago.

Where the program is installed to depends on what program you are installing.

For example, installing DirectX in Windows, it would install to the Windows folder.
If you where installing Steam, you can install it where ever you like.
PLEASE NOTE: I'm referring to Windows up to WinXP.

In Linux, programs install to a predetermined point based on what part of the OS they are, and what they are designed to do.

The Kernel(s) install to the /boot directory
(which may be its own partition), where your machines boot info is stored.
(Everything I've ever read about it leads me to believe that is where they are, but it's late, I'm tired, and I've had to redo this a few times so far!)

Other programs might install to your "home" directory.
Let's assume that your username is "Reece".

So your "home" directory, would be:
/home/Reece
If you install Steam in Linux, after running the Steam installer, Steam would install in:
/home/Reece/Steam

This would mean that if RR was on the same system, his home directory would be:
/home/RR
He could neither see, or access your Steam folder, as his Steam install would be:
/home/RR/Steam

As far as passwords are concerned:
There are 3 MAIN user levels in Linux:
User
Super User (or Power User)
root

The one thing to remember, Linux is based on the same "standard" that Unix is/was.
UNIX was a MAINFRAME OS, meaning that all the low level users had "dumb terminals", and "root" was the system administrator sitting on the mainframe itself.

IF you are a Super User, you have the "authority" to install and remove programs using the "official" means.

Root on the other hand, can do whatever he/she wants.

Barracuda

Last edited by BarracudaUAK; 04-02-17 at 02:51 AM.
BarracudaUAK is offline   Reply With Quote