Thread: The Hunter
View Single Post
Old 09-05-18, 04:21 AM   #350
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Its the Call of the Wild again.

It seems The Hunter Classic slowly, slowly is loosing players. Its been around since long, technologically there is the increase of rendering distance from 220 to 330 meters, but that is all there has been in technological improvement sin the past 10 years, so the slow fading of the game should maybe not be surprising.

The Call of the Wild however is doing better in my personal gaming charts, an I initial expected. I like it, and I do not care for calls by some that it is "less realistic". I am not certain that it really is so. Some aspects feel and get managed differently, yes, and the levelling of skill bonusses with exprience is not designed the wa I would have preferred, but I have learned to forgive that.

They have released two new reserves, Medved Taiga and Africa. Especilly the taiga is maybe my preferred reserve now, since they did an outstanding job in rcreating this desolate, forsaken place and stun the player with beautiful visuals and a feeling of realyl beign exposed, and lonely, isolated. Africa however is a two sided sword. On the ine hand you again have beautiful visuals and a cokour scheme, a style that indeed reminds a lot of Africa, on the other hand, when the viewing distnces become really long, the rdnering spoils the illusion while in the very very logn distances the computer graphics aspect becomes more and more obvious to the eye, with plain monochrome areas with cloned bushes popping up, it looks like graohcis form a 90s comouter game at times. So, regions where the viewing distance is limite,d are preferred. this proboem is not existent on the other three maps.

Also, the Afric amap suffers form havign too few, or better: nine of the inhabitants players would expect to see and hunt in frica. No lions, zebras, elephant, giraffes, crocodiles, leopards or gepards, hyenas, rhinos. Social media seem to indicate that many players take this queer indeed. Its my reason why I never have wanted an africa reserve in their polls in the pats years. The viewing distance problem was better solved on their Australia map, but then I saw that in PC, not on Playstation, the hardware may influence this significantly, but the animal problem I have forseen for sure.

However, you must not buy it. I full heartly recommend the Taiga, however. Its superb.

Currently I play the game a lot again, and have tremendous joy and fun with it. Its proving to be quite difficult and challenging. i did not know there were extensive statistics recorded and found them by "accident", I was stunned that there was a number saying how animals I have spooked by my walkign noise: the number said almost three thousand. That came as a shock, I play like I play Classic and in Classic I move around quite silently and stay invisible where I can. Here in CotW I seem to not do well enough!

Shooting initially was frustrating, the gamepad has a bad command layout and so I messed up repeatedly, but they corected that in an earlier patch, of whcih there have been severl over the year. Also, with experience come additonal perks and skills, I focussed on optimising breathing and shaking when using rifles, and now, shooting - despite the problems fine tunings always bring with the ministicks of a gamepad - I can handle it quite well.

I also repeatedly got attacked and injure dnow by certain animals I did not hit hard enough and of whose species you would expct that they are capable and willing to atack. Another huge difference to Classic. But then, as I said the levellign system is not optimal and very slow, and I still have only a quite weak rifle, so this may change over time once I get a bigger argument.

I play Classic now very rarely only, but more and more grow into CotW. It looks so much better and has a full day-night-cycle.

The PS4 versions includes some stuff that on PC gets sold as sepadate DLCs. its not the microtrnasactionf renzy of Classics, however. On playstation, there were just the two new maps, a goose-hunting pck and a bow.focussed pack as additonal DLCs so far. Prices were moderate, with 8 Euros for the maps (IÄm fine with that), and 4 Euros for the two weapon packs (I would be fine with that as well if I would be interested, but I am not).

This new game has turned out to run much better than I expected when they released it. Steam feedback reflects that, the game is rated quite positively, whle Classic always suffered from the negative feedback about the micro transaction business model.

Very recommend, its a very beautiful and solid game, really. Not perfect - but which game is perfect? But very good.

I do not know the PC version. I use it on PS4 only.

P.S. Here is the Wiki for CotW: http://thehuntercotw.wikia.com/wiki/..._the_Wild_Wiki

Taiga:

Africa: