View Single Post
Old 07-10-17, 08:53 AM   #4933
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by jldjs View Post
I've been playing mostly TMO for many years, and the Spyron mod for past few years and do not recall the "no sonar sound" issue. Perhaps those mods campaigns had the ships speed higher than those in FotRSU? I didn't play the original FotRS very much.
Just curious, not complaining.
If you haven't noticed a problem with those mods, you weren't paying attention regarding Sonar/Hydrophone use. There's a difference between "active" Sonar and "passive" Hydrophone in the game. The Sonar man is using active Sonar when he reports a detection, or "follows" a target. A player uses passive Hydrophone when he tunes onto a certain bearing to attempt to hear the screws. Only if the target ship is traveling at a certain speed will you hear that ship......your Sonarman will follow it just fine. Not only that, but when you take a Sonar "finding" on a particular ship, your going to get an exact measurement to target....down to the yard exact. So, in one attempt you can't hear the target, in the other you'll get an exact measurement of it?!?

Most mods have dealt with ship acceleration.............. jack rabbit starts being the main issue. Who's aftereffects usually results in poor ship behavior in turns, or convoy positioning. Believe it or not, Hydrophone use, and ship engine power work hand in hand in this game! One effects the other.

You probably never noticed the issue of mods having poor range finding issues either....like the ones pointed out here from THEBERBSTER........."The attack map nearly always show that I am short on range.........compared to the Stadimeter".

Exactly! Players see what they want to see, ignore the rest. The Sonar/Hydrophone issue is not only a Fotrs issue, any more than the game Stadimeter won't show accurate range unless its modded and changed. It's a "game issue" that's been here from the beginning, like the triple "Yes Sir!!" after giving a command, or the old repeat of "Passing Thermal Layer" we've all heard....yet for some reason .....You know I haven't heard that in a while? It's because it was modded out of the game. Sometimes the best mods are the ones you don't even know changed something.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote