View Single Post
Old 11-27-18, 10:10 AM   #35
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Downloads: 465
Uploads: 0

Some thoughts from an old programmer:

Once, a very, very long time ago, I worked on the operating system for a computer which had exactly 4096 words of random access memory. That's not a misprint! Not K. Not M. Four thousand ninety-six 18-bit words. (A beer for anyone who can correctly identify that machine!) Every instruction had to be carefully chosen. Every status bit had to be considered for maximum added functionality. For the size of the code, it required a huge investment in programmer effort.

Later, I worked on a real-time virtual OS which, for sound physical reasons, was based on magneitc drum storage. The latency time of the slowly-turning drum meant that data and executable storage had to be carefully optimized to be under the heads when needed. There was software to help, but any significant change to data structures meant that the entire drum had to be remapped. Again, massive amounts of effort to overcome hardware limitations.

Throughout the history of computing, huge amounts of human programmer effort have been used to compensate for the limitations of the existing hardware. I'm sure Ada Lovelace had the same problems.

When SH3 was developed, the 3D models taxed the generally available hardware to the point where load times were barely tolerable. As SH3 grew through mods, much more extensive modelling made use of improving machine capabilities, and load times stayed barely tolerable. So we are today.

I am sure it would be possible, through large amounts of modder effort, to optimize the 3D models with standard elements. This would likely make a significant improvement in load times, especially for older hardware. (Would it also add significant render times and stress older CPUs and GPUs?) But is this the most effective use of the time and talents of a small modding community? The Polish Engineer sez: "If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it."

There are still many possible improvements to SH3 waiting to be done. In reverse enginnering, hsie did wonderful things, but much more is possible. (Compare to what TDW has done for SH5.) While the skill set for 3D modelling is not the same, still I suspect there are many useful projects to be done. (How about a complete interior?) I suggest that there are many projects which could use modder effort more effectively than cleaning up old inefficient models which do run adequately on current machines.

Truth in advertising: I am not an active modder, except for personal consumption. FWIW, this is just the opinon of a long-time software developer. YMMV.

And for all those who labor to make this old horse better and better every year, THANK YOU. Much love, and I will be grateful to use whatever you care to contribute to the community. God bless!
BigWalleye is offline   Reply With Quote