View Single Post
Old 07-04-10, 06:45 PM   #70
John Channing
Sea Lord

Downloads: 156
Uploads: 5

Then this should drive you over the edge.

I picked up a radar contact at about 12Kyds. Got an initial range an bearing on him and started the plot. Waited about 5 minutes and got a second range and bearing , plotted it, drew an intersection between it and the first one and had his course (these are the first two marks below). The I took range and bearing every few minutes and, using the protractor and the ruler, got his track down cold.

Now I am still running with Map Updates on so I was able to check the results with reality and at longer ranges it was spot on. I was able to plot his course within a few hundred feet!

As he got closer the error rate increased (probably due to my inexperience with it) but I was still able to plot his track by lining up his estimated course between my bearing marks that were, in actuality, off his track in either direction by a few hundred yards either way. By the time he came into visual range I was out of position for a good attack (mainly because I had been concentrating on the plot) but with a litttle more practice I will be able to conduct an attack exactly the way I have wanted to since this was in Beta!

Now I have seen a couple of radar plots from WWII subs and, you know what? They looked a lot like this...

This was a great experience! I am heading back to Midway for a re-fit and then back on patrol with Map Contacts off. Nisgeis... take a Gold Star out of petty cash!

Next... learning to use the 3-D TDC!

JCC
John Channing is offline   Reply With Quote