View Single Post
Old 05-08-17, 07:53 AM   #5
Gargamel
Lucky Sailor

Downloads: 81
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
Summer's here and time for projects! I am going to build a new picnic table to replace the gargantuan table I used to have in town. I think I am going to go with a modified version of this table , just need to make it longer so it can seat 12.

Going to need a new tape measure that includes inches in decimals.
I like the detailing on it, the floating center pieces, but those notoriously weak mitre joints concern me a bit. Unless you use some pocket hole screws on the underside, you'll either have exposed screws or a weak joint. And do your shins a favor, hit those with the largest roundover router bit you can, mitre joints are very sharp!

I agree with catfish here, that thing will be a beast to move if it's any bigger. Those base rails won't drag that easy. But they also have the advantage of not catching

I know there's a bazillion designs out there for picnic tables, and I assume you looked at a good portion of them before settling on this one, so you're probably not that interested in look at more, but April Wilkerson on Youtube just recently released a pretty good video on making a picnic table, and she does discuss a couple design issues IIRC.

Don't bother with a decimal imperial tape measure. First off, they are relatively expensive, and hard to find (Amazon has 1). Get yourself a conversion chart from google, print out the one you want, and round off the measurements to the nearest 1/64th or 1/32nd. On a picnic table, nobody will notice errors of that size, in fact, they are pretty much expected. Or invest in a decent 20' tape measure that has both english and metric, so you can convert on the fly.

The WoodWhisperer Youtube channel just did a video within the last few weeks on finishing an outdoor table. He's a professional whom I've learned a lot from, and I plan on using his finish of choice for any of my outdoor projects. Whatever you do, don't skimp on the finish.

Gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote