View Single Post
Old 06-06-16, 09:30 AM   #99
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Yes, they are jackrabbits, able to do 0-60 in 3.4 seconds, cut a 90 degree turn in less than a 100 yards, able to leap tall buildings in a single bound - well, maybe just "draft shallow so a torp runs beneath"...
Okay, I just did a harbor raid test. As with all harbor raids, the victims were not able to get underway from the pier. When they sank, they just settled to the bottom. I cut a video of the attack and I'm not even going to post it. I did have some nice subsidiary explosions well after the torpedo hit. The ships did not just go blub, blub, blub, sink as they do in the stock game. The sounds were awesome. I especially liked when a freighter opened up with a deck gun and the shell passed overhead. What a great sound!

But the video is a loser--unless as a cautionary tale on why harbor raiding just isn't very realistic in SH4.

But propbeanie, if we have jackrabbits, I'm willing to make an exception and put a good jackrabbit avoidance mod in the core FOTRS Ultimate, even though it's not a MadMax product.

I'm going to check out Jrex's mod. Can someone check out Webster's and report sonar behavior? As far as ship behavior they both do a great job of making jackrabbits into turtles. Both have some unpredictable effects on convoys, which will scatter somewhat soon after they spawn. The japanese merchant fleet wasn't that disciplined in convoy behavior and that might actually be a feature rather than a bug. We're going to claim that anyway!
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote