View Single Post
Old 06-06-16, 07:18 AM   #97
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Does everyone agree that we have jackrabbits in standard FOTRS? Now if we choose to mess with ship horsepower to limit dragster powers, Webster says that will also mess with sonar because the game links sound volume with engine horsepower...
Yes, they are jackrabbits, able to do 0-60 in 3.4 seconds, cut a 90 degree turn in less than a 100 yards, able to leap tall buildings in a single bound - well, maybe just "draft shallow so a torp runs beneath"...

Is the HP thing why that in some mods, the feller at the sonar station doesn't seem to hear a thing, in spite of a ship doing about 10 knots at 3200 yards, and I all of a sudden get surprised by an ashcan attack?... and to think, I just thought the AI was smarter than me...

I haven't found any real clues as to what causes "The Noise", but I'm still thinking it's a file either playing incorrectly, or not at all, but none of the background sound files that I've found seem to contain, or hint at that "I'm here!" hammering on the pipe sound, if played alone. I might try to load some of the sounds up in an audio editor and look at their loop points, and make sure they all "cross at zero", as they say in the audio vernacular... but if there's a bum file like that, the sound heard should just be a digital-over "CLICK!" that would sound like it's trying to destroy the speakers it's played over... usually. One thing of it, there are audio issues in the "stock" game after time compression, where a lot of the background sounds quit playing... maybe I'll look there too, and see what stops playing in that situation. Where would one find what happens during time compression in the game's files, or is that something that's "hard coded"?
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote