View Single Post
Old 07-09-17, 11:50 AM   #4
The Bandit
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 39
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMike View Post
What's the max explosive power for a weapon warhead? Curious, since an ASROC with a W44 nuclear warhead had a 10 kiloton yield which equals 10,000 tons of TNT (or 20,000,000 pounds TNT or 9,090,909 kg TNT).
I wonder if that could be tested on an ASTOR torpedo (Mk 45); not sure it's modeled in game but a Mk 37 or Mk 48 could probably work.
The Mk 45 had an anti-circular run feature, speed of 40 knots, and range of 12,000 yds.
The Swordfish nuclear test of 10 Kt (ASROC proof test) showed that a submerged sub could survive 4500 yds from the burst point (at periscope depth).
Its been attempted. Torpedoes don't have a blast radius in this game, so you can set the damage as high as you'd like, and it will be dealt, but only to whatever it hits. I've made what amounts to a Mk 45 simulator in my OAS mod. The Mk 45 had no terminal guidance/ homing, it had gyros for the initial run setting and wire-guidance for further steering and detonation settings, but it had to be controlled through its whole run.

As far as nuclear stuff goes, in theory you could probably make a nuclear air-dropped depth charge like a Lulu as the air-dropped weapon does have a configurable blast radius, but doing stuff like that you can see why the dev's thought that was a road best not to go down.

You're playing a mission, you think you're quiet, but all the sudden instead of a torpedo or a sonobuoy they get a russian-lulu followed a few seconds later by a massive pressure wave that completely rupture your boat. Game over, thanks for playing.

Last edited by The Bandit; 07-09-17 at 12:05 PM.
The Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote