View Single Post
Old 03-27-10, 04:12 AM   #1
swervn69
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0
Default Crashes Loading Save Games: 2 Solutions

Using Silent Hunter 3, I have experienced two types of game crashes while loading save games that I have found solutions for. I see where others are experiencing similar crashes, so maybe my two solutions can point some in the right direction.

Problem # 1 (less common, but more universal - occurs in SH3 and SH4 for all installation types and mods):

I am a "save-aholic" and save the game all the time, especially during a heated battle in a large convoy. I hit Esc, click the "Save" option, input a new save game name in the box, then click the "Save" button, and the game immediately crashes to the desktop. I launch SH3 again, click "Career", Accept my profile name, then I click "Saved Career", and the game immediately crashes to the desktop again, before the Save Game List is displayed.

Solution # 1:
I have overflowed the save game directory with too many save games. I must now delete several of them to resume my career again.

a) Using Windows Explorer, open the
...\My Documents\SH3\data\cfg\Careers\<profile name>\<mission number> folder. I was on my Career Mission#33, so I opened the "32" folder
b) switch Windows Explorer to "Detail View" - click View/Details on the top menu bar
c) sort all the save games by their timestamp - click the "Date" or "Date Modified" column heading, until all the files are sorted in date order
d) scroll thru the list and pick out "non-essential" save games while avoiding the latest and most important ones - highlight blocks of save game files that all have the same name and timestamp - SH3 saves them in groups of 10 files (this folder had 1080 files in it, so I had 108 save games! Too many!)
e) delete these blocks of 10 files, until the folder is back down to a safe level - 500 or less
f) launch SH3 again, Career and latest Save Game loaded successfully! (...and next time, I was more conservative and saved over old save game names more often!) Once that Mission was over, I started a new Mission with a fresh set of save games again.

Problem # 2 (more common, but more Mod-specific; I never had this problem for 3 years on the stock SH3 install, but it happened frequently after installing GWX3 Gold and the associated Mods on the download mirror):

I attempt to load a Save Game, where I am in a heated battle in the middle of a large convoy. The Load Game progress bar loads up to 100%, then the screen goes black and displays the "Not So Long Ago..." message. Next, the Command Room starts to display for a split-second, then the game immediately drops out and crashes to the desktop.

I tried for three weeks to resolve this problem, using as many tips and tricks as I could find with google, ubi and subsim forums - no luck.

I refused to accept various explanations, like "you saved underwater", or "you saved within a gazillion kilometers of other ships, land, etc." Why? Because I have one Save Game that loads just fine, just off the coast of Hartlepool, where my XXI is underwater, in the middle of a huge convoy, sitting at the bottom, right next to a C2 that I just sunk, with a Flower Corvette bearing down on me from above. However, all subsequent Save Games fail to load with this CTD problem. If that one can load, then why can't the rest??

I did three things tonight, and my problem is solved! All my subsequent save games in the middle of this battle are now working again.

Solution # 2 (which one of these things fixed this problem?):

a) In Windows Explorer, I opened the C:\GAMES folder
b) I right-clicked on the SH3 game folder and selected "Properties"
c) On the General tab, in the Attributes section, I unchecked the "Read-only" box
d) I clicked on the Advanced button, and I unchecked the Archiving option, and I unchecked the "Index this folder" option
e) I clicked OK / Apply and selected "Apply changes to this folder, subfolders and files"
f) I opened the "My Documents" folder and right-clicked/Properties on the SH3 folder there and repeated Steps c, d, and e again
g) I launched JSGME (v2.2.0.120) and I removed the following Mods: "LifeBoats&Debris_v4", "Torpedo damage Final", and "GWX - Enhanced Damage Effects"
h) I launched SH3 again, and my "bad" Save Games loaded successfully!
i) I ran JSGME again and added those Mods back again
j) My "bad" SH3 Save Games still loaded successfully
k) I saved and loaded new Save Games, underwater, in the middle of that heated battle successfully!

What gives??
Did one of these specific Mods cause the crashes?
Is there a conflict between Mods causing these Save Game CTDs??
Do the Mods mark certain critical files "Read-only", causing Save Games to crash in the future??
Do the "Enhanced Damage" Mods cause loud explosions when the Save Games load, which cause them to CTD??

Can we pinpoint the exact solution??
swervn69 is offline   Reply With Quote