Thread: Sony
View Single Post
Old 03-05-08, 04:51 AM   #51
danlisa
Navy Seal

Downloads: 45
Uploads: 1

@ Reece

Piracy is a bigger market than you know. So the many suffering for the few is not the correct analogy to use.

@ All

Let's try to dispel the fears that has been generated over SecuRom shall we?

Example - Let's say that I have a pirated copy of SH4 1.0 and have loaded the ISO/BIN via Deamon tools. The only thing that will happen is that SecuRom will not let the game start. That's it. Other forms of protection will 'blacklist' your optical drive meaning you'll never play the game again.

Now, as far as I can tell, the biggest issue with SecuRom is that it doesn't play well with genuine developer tools aka Privateer's & RR's running processes. That is a failing of it's design and is not malicious in anyway.

I suspect, as usual, the hysteria over copy protection (in this case SecuRom) is caused because it has undesired side affects and, understandably, a user wants to permit or deny what is allowed to run on his/her PC and to govern what a permitted program is or is not allowed to do. I can understand that but I can also understand the need to protect the hard work done by game devs.

The bottom line is, SH4 patched to 1.5 does not need the SecuRom protection, except for online play, so if you don't want to play MP, remove it, if not, please accept that developers wish to protect their work and learn to live with a form of copy protection that in 99% of cases will never cause you any problems.

Simple really.

Edit - @ maerean_m

Sorry for the crossed post. Like I said, Hysteria.