View Single Post
Old 03-18-12, 02:47 PM   #60
Leitender
Planesman

Downloads: 50
Uploads: 0

Hi Rubini,

i´m sorry for going back to the item, and hopefully i won´t annoy you:

I´m a big fan of your earlier stay_alert_crew fix and i used it for years. For me, your settings 24km, 25km resp. 26km for GHG, KDB resp. Balkon was not only very helpful for the player but also well-balanced to the crew´s und to the player´s ability. Furthermore these values stood in a fair relation to the enemy´s abilities, namely to its radars. Being very short at the beginning, allied radar became the most importent sensor with the best range at all by the end of the war.

Now, your new settings are 28km, 29km and 30km for the german underwater sensors. My question is which reason do you have for these new settings? Are they only for the player´s joy, did you feel they were minor ingame or do you have maybe new knowledge about the ranges?

There are some sources in the internet that report a range of 20km against single ships and up to 80km against convoys, measured by the US-military using the captured U-505. I only saw one single german historical source, K.z.S. Giesler´s paper given at the OKM conference 09./10.03.44 :

http://www.cdvandt.org/okm-tagung_1944.htm (Chapter11)

(btw. great site about techniques and research of german military)

In this paper, Giesler mentioned a range of the GHG of only 10km. Later, he talked about a variation of 30% to 300% (i.e. 3km up to 30km) depending on environmental circumstances. Of course i don´t know if these value are downsized as protection against enemy espionage, but if they were true, wouldn´t your mod´s value be a little bit, say "uber"?

Sorry for this long post, but i wanted to explain my intents, and not criticize your work. Your answer would be really appriciated! Thanks in advance,

Greetings
Leitender is offline   Reply With Quote