View Single Post
Old 11-13-16, 10:38 AM   #7
Gray Lensman
Frogman

Downloads: 104
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkerov View Post
Thats the error you are making. If you leave the speed set to zero in the TDC you will hit the target.
The reason for this is that you are determining the lead andle for a ten knot target, when you set the speed in the TDC, it thinks its job is to calculate the lead angle as well. This is why you are always firing in front of the target.
Not necessarily... see below...

Quote:
Try the vector analysis method once you get sick of always having to set up 90 degree attacks. That method extends the dick okane method to non 90 degree scenarios. I use it now because it does the same thing as the okane method plus more.

be sure to post your next exploding target for us
I always set the speed to target speed and achieve well over 95% hits (including duds that hit but don't explode), BUT...

you have to ensure that the target will indeed be at or slightly outside the predetermined TDC range setting (especially at higher target speeds). The reason for this is at such close range and higher target speeds the TDC lead angle will cause a bow shot (wire on front (bow) portion of target ship) to actually cross in front of the target instead of intercepting the bow. This intercept range is adjusted preferably by a small judicious forward/reverse ship movement, but can be done on the TDC, (necessitating double-click rechecking of the solution of course).

In a way this somewhat agrees with your reasoning about target speed setting but allows the TDC to still compensate for other small targeting errors such as the sub not being exactly 90 degrees perpendicular to target track

Another point... I never use SLOW speed torpedoes UNLESS i'm setting up a dual target solution and in reality I don't think that was really a historical technique anyhow. At least, I've never read of it being used in any of the books I've read.

Member since February 2007

Wargaming since 1971 (1st game Avalon Hill's Stalingrad)

Hobby/Gaming Computng since 1977 (TRS-80) (adhoc programming & game modding ever since)

Last edited by Gray Lensman; 11-13-16 at 10:51 AM.
Gray Lensman is offline   Reply With Quote