View Single Post
Old 04-20-07, 01:44 PM   #822
LuftWolf
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorshkov
Lufty have pointed out earlier that to be able to use SS-N-16/APR-3 effectively this weapon must land very close to its target. I must correct this: APR-3 must land closely but not too close to target! Why? In the last mission I launched SS-N-16 at my favourite Foxtrot-class test sub. The APR-3 torpedo dropped in the water and began to seach. Unfortunately after completing one circle my torpedo shut-down without acquiring any target. What's the matter? Having watched after action report I was shocked! My APR-3 couldn't find Foxtrot simply because...sub was all along INSIDE torpedo's searching circle!

Tough titty! :rotfl:
Well, yeah, you just described the function of the APR-3.

In real life, the torpedo actually uses its momentum from airdrop to do its initial search pattern, not firing its rocket motor until it finds a target... of course, momentum in DW is not really well simulated for things like torpedoes, so I need to provide a sufficient thrust for the weapon to actually search.

You really need to read the readme. Of course, you'll probably say that it's too long and not detailed enough...

Cheers,
David