View Single Post
Old 06-28-11, 04:53 PM   #1689
h.sie
Admiral

Downloads: 131
Uploads: 0

Need help!

I remember many people offering help. Now maybe time has come....

Problem: Our current AI-Subs from Sergbuto have an action radius of only about 2-3 km. That means: If they discover an enemy, they only shoot at him, if he is closer than 2-3km. But if the distance is larger than 2-3km, the Subs do not try to get closer to the enemy. They do nothing.

Using them to intercept a convoy would require to beam a high number of them to the estimated interception area in order to find and attack the convoy - hoping, that one of them is close enough.

So our subs need better AI. Sh3 isn't very flexible in this point. Since I still don't know how to add new AI or modify existing AI, we can only use what Sh3 offers. LGN1 found out that (additionally to the cmdr_AI setting in *.sim) setting Type=4 in the .cfg file gives ships an aggressive destroyer AI. I tried to also set Type=4 for the AI-Sub, but CTD. Possible reason: Type=4 (destroyer) only works for surface ships. So I moved the Sub into the Sea-Folder and changed the Roster-Entries accordingly. CTD. Possible reason: A surface ship cannot load the Turm 3D objects from the Objects folder. So in my opinion there a 2 possible solutions:

1) Modify Serbutos AI-Sub so that it accepts Type=4 entry without CTD, probably by moving the whole Sub into the Sea folder. It is not required that it looks like a sub. In RL the subs didn't see each other.

2) Create a new destroyer model that shoots without sound and visible fire, that is very small (or invisible?) and thus cannot be seen and maybe uses the same weapons as Sergbutos AI Subs, or, even better : Torpedoes.

For 1) and 2) Hydrofones would also be cool!

Thanks. Woldpacks isn't an 1-Man-Project.
H.Sie

@Wolfstriked: Let us please discuss that topic (slow sinking , ballst compressro) if I start to mod that. Currently all my focus is on Wolfpack.

Last edited by h.sie; 06-29-11 at 03:27 AM.
h.sie is offline   Reply With Quote