View Single Post
Old 05-09-16, 05:34 AM   #1
Von Due
Sea Lord

Downloads: 30
Uploads: 0
Default Allied radar in June, 1940?

Just started the 7th patrol, mid June 1940 and I am close to the eastern shores of northern England. Time of day around 1400 hours, clear skies and excellent visibility. Was able to spot a ship at almost 15000 meters.

Here is what puzzles me.

I got the warning "Enemy is engaging us" and "We are under attack" so I quickly asked the watch officer about closest sight. He reported no ships in sight. I scanned the horizon using the binoculars but nothing showed up, not even the slightest trace of smoke. Still getting the warning that we were under attack.

Dove to periscope depth and using the hydrophone the sound guy picked up nothing but I could hear the ever so faint sound of something very far away.

TC for 30 minutes worth then the sound guy reports incoming, traveling at medium speed. Sound indicates small ship or boat. After another 10 minutes I get an armed trawler in view heading for us. Getting closer he then turned away, now following a somewhat parallell course.

What could possibly have caused an armed trawler to spot me at more than 16 km away, more like 20+ km? Do they have radar this early? And... do armed trawlers have radar too?

I am stumped at the moment. Nothing else was heard on the hydrophone but that one ship and it was at very long range when I heard it before the sound guy picked it up.

No airplanes were spotted or reported.
Von Due is offline   Reply With Quote