View Single Post
Old 08-23-18, 01:23 PM   #6507
Squashman
Swabbie

Downloads: 536
Uploads: 0
Icon14 Japanese torpedoes

Hi to the FOTRS development team
I would first like to thank you all for this magnificent work - the sheer scope of the submarine, surface and air components is nothing short of outstanding.
I am particularly interested in producing missions that depict historically accurate naval actions. Now with the large range of warships available in FOTRS, this has become so much easier.
Currently I am trying to make the Naval Battles of the Guadalcanal Campaign:-
The Battle of Savo Island
The Battle of Cape Esperance
The First Naval Battle of Guadalcanal
The Second naval Battle of Guadalcanal
The Battle of Tassafaronga

The game AI actually copes quite well with the demands of the surface ship tracks as they manoeuver within the historical requirements for the tactics of the battles.
One thing, however, is currently hard to incorporate and that is the range at which Japanese torpedoes are fired.
As you are no doubt aware, it was the long range salvoes of Japanese Long Lances that was most often so devastating for the US cruisers.

Would it therefore be possible to produce a mod that could variably increase the maximum firing range of Japanese (or all) AI from its current 1,400 yds up to say 4,000 to 6,000 yds. Alternatively is there a way a player can do this themselves, by altering the files of individual AI units?
Very best wishes to all

Last edited by Squashman; 08-23-18 at 01:36 PM.
Squashman is offline   Reply With Quote