View Single Post
Old 09-06-08, 09:19 PM   #1
Philipp_Thomsen
Old Gang

Downloads: 146
Uploads: 0

Default [REL] Thomsen's Water V4.0 (10/12/2008) - The Pool results go live - NEW VERSION!!!

Quote:
December 10th.

New version:

Changelog:
1. Smoother water
2. Darker water
3. Better sun reflection on the water.

Here's some teasers:

Quote:
November 22th.

New version.

Changelog:

1. Fixed the sun reflection on the water. Instead of a thin runway, a larger and less bright conical reflection. Based on some photos I've seen, this is pretty much it.
2. Deleted some unnecessary files. Files the mod wasn't using and were causing JSGME to accuse conflicts.

Feedback at will!
Let me say this again...

THIS MOD IS A TWEAK FOR OLCE2.
YOU NEED TO DOWNLOAD OLCE2, ENABLE IT, AND THEN ENABLE MY MOD ON TOP OF IT.
DONT WORRY ABOUT JSGME WHINNING ABOUT COMPATIBILITIE ISSUES, THATS SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN!

Quote:
Version 3.3 is out

Changelog:

1. Fixed the moon reflection
2. Increased the size of the moon by 50%
Quote:
VERSION 3.2 IS OUT

Changelog:

1. A little bit darker water
2. Better reflection of the sun in the water
3. Fixed problem with SH3 Commander, now you can use "seasonal waves" with this mod
4. Reduced the pointed waves with bad weather
5. Tweaked waves to look better
6. Fixed the problem with the "speedy water movement", when you had the impression of being at high TC.

I was going to fix the lack of moon reflection, but I didn't find where the hell is the controller for that. I'm kinda busy with the ship's mod, so if anyone could help me with the moon reflection, I would be very happy.

Quote:
VERSION V3.1 IS OUT!

Changelog:
Small fix with the colours at night. The sky was too bright and the water was bright blue like if you were in another planet, with radiatin or something.

This is what it looks now.

It's already avaliable for download!

Quote:
VERSION V3 IS OUT!

I was going to call this a 2.1 version, but since it has as much modifications as from 1.0 to 2.0, or maybe more, and besides it's not just about water reflections and scene.dat, I decided to call it 3.0.

This version corrects the bug with the weather change. I only did tests with the 0, 4, 8 and 12 m/s winds, but I discovered that the weather between those values were looking terrible. I don't understand yet how this game engine works, but it's full of surprises. Now I understand what you meant, Wolfehunter!

This version also corrects the reflection of the sun, reworked stuff from SH4.

Changelog.
* Fixed the sun reflections on the water
* New TGA controlling the brightness the sun inflicts on the water
* Fixed the weather change bug
* Tweaked the waves on higher wind speeds.

Here's a picture of the new reflections of the sun:

It can get better, and it WILL get better!

It's being uploaded to my FF page, once you see "Thomsen's Water V3" there, you can download it!
Quote:
NEW VERSION AVALIABLE!

Lot of changes in wave sizes, wave formats and water reflection, lots of improvments.

Here's the trailer of the new version:

Youtube is rubbish quality, if you want decent video quality, download the video from my FF page, together with the mod.

Download the 2.0 version in my FF page, by clicking on my signature.
Hello everyone.

I think, and most people here agree, that OLCE2 is a must-have. I'm playing with it since it's first release.
But at the same time, since it's first release I'm making a little modifications on top of it, related to water.
I don't like the way that the water looks and feels. I agree with OLC that this is a question of taste.
Some of you will prefer this water, some of you will not.
Either way, I'm releasing it, cos I do know half a dozen people here that would love to use it.
I was going to make a whole environment mod, but I'll not anymore. It's way to complicated, it messes with sensors,
and besides I'm pretty happy with OLC's work.
So I'm releasing a mod that will only work ON TOP OF OLCE2.
That's right. You need to install the latest version of OLCE2 first.
I've made only changes in the waves, so this is almost the same as OLCE2.

Here's some pictures:

This is not only an environment mod. This mod also changes the gameplay.

The wave sizes in stock sh3, or gwx, are way bigger than in the real life. You often see a ship sailing between two waves, the big waves makes the sailing behavior a joke and gives the feeling that the ships are really small, like plastic ships in a bathub.

And why is that?

Simple. The smaller the waves, the more waves need to be created to fill the same space. And the more waves on the screen, the more your CPU have to work to control each wave's movement, and more your VIDEOCARD have to work to render each wave and it's movement, dozens times per second. So, to make the waves as small as they are in real life, you would need to have a computer far too expensive for your pocket.

In this mod I've tryed a middle-ground, from stock and gwx to real-life water. So you'll have something more realistic, but not 100% realistic. Just a step closer.

With those smaller waves, things are a little different in gameplay:

- The ships are steadier now, they sail like big icebergs, without all that pitch and roll you're used to, which by the way is awful. You just can't have a 10 thousand tons ship bouncing up, down, left and right like that, it's just not acceptable. Sometimes you see a ship bouncing up and down on the water in terms of 8 or 10 meters, how are you supposed to aim a torpedo below it to explode magneticly?

- The ships looks bigger now, coz when you look at a ship, your brain takes whatever is closed to that ship to create a mental idea of the size of the ship, and normally the water is the closest to the ship, so the brain takes the size of the waves in comparison to the size of the ship and gives you the mental projection of the size, weight and feeling of what you're seeing thru binoculars or periscope. And everybody here knows real-life waves, thru movies or real experience. So when your brain see those big waves, the ship's sizes diminish drasticly, which is not forgiveble when it comes to a naval simulation.

Now, of course, the mod has it's eye-candy part too. I've always find the water in sh3 not acceptable. It never gave me the feeling of wet, the feeling of sailing on water. And if you stop to think, you're 100% of the time ON THE WATER! After all, it's a naval simulator. Some people might not think as me, as for they something must be more important, like the look of the officer's hats, or the color of the ship icon on the nav map. But that's what makes this community complete and amazing!

For the eye-candy part, the following:

- The water have a wet-feeling now. It's more reflective. It's hard to explain why, just download the part 1 video in my FileFront account (by clicking on my signature) and you'll see and understand what I mean.

- The water is transparent now. Not that you'll be able to see the uboat underwater, as I don't think this is possible in sh3. But you'll be able to see thru a small wave, when the water jumps.

Also, notice that this mod requires a much better system than SH3 or GWX. I don't have the minimal requirements yet, but you sure need to excess the recomended sh3 settings by 100%, at least. I had to trade my system to a brand new one so I could finally finish modding this. I'm having 70-90 fps with this mod, and my specs are:

C2D E4700 @2.6ghz
4 GB DDR2 800mhz dual-channel
Geforce 9600gt XFX 512mb

As for reporting, PLEASE, report the frame-rate you're getting, and what's your system. To enable FPS counter in sh3, just press CTRL+F8.

It's avaliable in FF page, by clicking on my signature.

Last edited by Philipp_Thomsen; 12-10-08 at 05:32 PM. Reason: New version
Philipp_Thomsen is offline   Reply With Quote