View Single Post
Old 03-02-17, 05:07 AM   #286
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancerdolphin View Post
I had just moved to Sacramemto CA and my best friend, a union cement truck driver got me a referral to the Roofer's Union and I was accepted into the 3-year apprentice progam and was summarily dispatched to one of the WORST summer jobs ever; tearing off the OLD COAL TAR roof on one of the local High Schools..... I will NEVER forget that misery!
Interesting. I also had an outdoor summer job in Sacramento! In 1959 before starting my Jr. year in high school, I worked in the plumbing yard at Cut Rate Plumbing on North 12th Street, which was located right next to an iron foundry. Late in the afternoon they would pour the molten metal from a huge vessel, raising the surrounding air temperature. Besides the already normal hot days of 100-110 degrees, and the heat coming off the black and galvanized bundles of pipe in the plumbing yard, the foundry raised the air temp to something in excess of 120-130 degrees! It was good to be young and able to take it. I would end my work day by driving over to that little beach at Discovery Park and diving into the American River. Man that was refreshing! It would probably kill me today...

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote