View Single Post
Old 07-12-14, 06:14 PM   #38
pythos
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 46
Uploads: 0

Doing the four bearing method, and having no luck.
The point of failure seems to be at the point when the parallels are moved to intersect Bearing 2.
Having had numerous failures in acquiring contact course I decided to try this with map contacts on and was using the TDC historical mission (one ship on a east to west coast, and the U- boat on a northerly heading.)
I used the periscope for the bearing info, and found that when I drew out the parallels on bearing 1 and 3, that the course was nearly perpendicular to the actual contact course.
Then I looked at how to acquire a predicted course line that would match the contacts East to West course, and honestly I could find none.
I have done the tutorial included in Steel Wolves for the four bearings several times, and encountered that although the tutorial is saying "we have acquired a bearing of (place bearing here), that when I clicked on the sonar operator I get "no sound contact".
In actual practice I find the sonar bearings useless (even when tracking a single contact, as the operator only reports the closest contact, and in a shipping lane that can be many instances of the closest changing during the course of acquiring four bearings over 20 minutes.
I sure wish I could get this method to work, cause if this works this will make this sim really immersive.
pythos is offline   Reply With Quote