View Single Post
Old 03-26-18, 10:35 AM   #20
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkbit View Post
I disagree with the statement that the torpedo speed cannot be set without pulling the torpedo out of the tube. Judging by the excerpt below, it appears that the speed could be changed.

Here is an excerpt from the British report on U-570 following its capture:

I've always understood that there are rods inserted into the torpedo while in the tube that adjust the various settings and are retracted prior to firing. I believe this report makes mention of them if you read through it.

There are all kinds of technical tid bits in the report.

Here is the link for the whole report:
http://uboatarchive.net/U-570/U-570BritishReport.htm
That describes the function of the TDC, the solution calculator located in the control room. It does not say anything about the mechanical parts of the torpedo tube. I'm sorry, it does not settle this argument. [EDIT: well not this particular part. Haven't read the entire document yet.]

If someone can find evidence that there indeed was some kind of hardware in the tubes that could change the torpedo speed from the outside then I'll concede my statement completely. There should be some kind of mechanical parts to transfer the gyroangle from the TDC. But a external way of setting torpedo speed is the confirmation that we need in this argument. (or torpedo documentation mentioning a input on the torpedo side that influences it's speed)
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote