View Single Post
Old 11-24-17, 06:58 PM   #19
Sean C
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by aanker View Post
This dotted line ain't Morse code.... ; )
I concur. In the screenshot posted by propbeanie, one can see dashes of varying, seemingly random length. In actual Morse, a dash is always three times the duration of a dot. (Or as close as the operator can get to that.) The dashes in the screenshot seem to vary between two and ten times the duration of a dot.

There's also the issue of spaces between letters and words. Letters are supposed to be separated by silence for the duration of one dash and words are to be separated by silence for the duration of seven dots. Not having the proper spaces between words is not that much of a hindrance, but not having them between letters can be.

For instance, if I hear: ∙∙-∙∙∙-∙, that could be "i n f" or "f i n" or even "f f" or many other combinations. Of course, one could try and see which combinations form words which make sense, but that would be a tedious process - and not necessarily correct. If you add not having spaces between words and dashes of varying length, well...what a Morse operator would hear is nonsense.

That's why the decoders you used, silent5hunter, didn't work.

Here is a sample of what Morse code should sound like. I recorded it from an actual shortwave radio transmission. (Sorry for the background noise and my wife and I talking over it towards the end.) I started to decipher it once, but I've forgotten now what it was saying.
Sean C is offline   Reply With Quote