Thread: sunk bungo pete
View Single Post
Old 02-12-08, 10:22 PM   #7
DS
Planesman

Downloads: 85
Uploads: 0

I sunk the Bungo Pete Akikaze for the first time tonight as well. It actually took a while to find him. I first came across a medium freighter in the Bungo Straits and sank him with two fish. I patrolled for a full day heading north, but still no sign of Pete. Heading back south out of the narrowest section, I spotted a large tanker, and sank him with 4 stern shots (getting liberaly with my torpedoes). I headed back north after that and, in the early hours of the morning, spotted the Akikaze coming out of the bay and heading towards the last sinking. I was at periscope depth, and he steamed right past me at about 4000 yeards. I started heading south, and reaquired visual contact with him through the periscope. He was in a search pattern around where I sank the tanker. I closed to 1500 yards at 1 knot (I heard he has good ears). His search pattern was confounding any possible TDC solution, so I made by best estimate and let go all six bow tubes with a wide spread. All of the passed ahead of him as he turned towards me and increased speed. I guess that got his attention. I went to flank and hard left rudder to being my stern tubes to bear. He was constant helming as he closed, so I had enough time for this manouver. I let go all 4 stern tubes in a spready on either side of an assumed base 0 angle on the bow (all manual targetting). One fish actually caught him in the stern with a load explosion. He kept coming on and I dove and evaded. He sank shortly thereafter, going down stern first.