View Single Post
Old 08-24-17, 06:31 PM   #19
BarracudaUAK
Captain

Downloads: 31
Uploads: 0

Good to know you got it installed and working.

A corrupted download, or a "bad burn" on a DVD can ruin the install.
I've had that problem before.

It may be that MINT 18 has some issues, or it may be that the mirror was corrupt...

Starting as of Fedora 22 (?) and up to Fedora 25, the installer does not "see" my RAID "drives". They show up, but are shown as "0 bytes".

It takes a bit of maneuvering but I can get them to be "seen" properly for install.

The Devs are aware, and I've been tracking the bug report since I installed F23. (25 now.)

Some times they do take a step back...

---
Booting into Safe/Compatability mode...

I've had to do that on most of my Fedora installs simply because I've usually got a video card within 3 generations of "new".

For example, when I built this FX-8350, I had (2) R7-370X. R9 380/R9 390 was the "Top" card. So I had, what I refer to as a "mid-grade front-line" Card.
I.e. the "new" but not the "best" version.

Now I'm running a R9 380. AMD has released the RX 400 series, the RX 500 series (a revision of the 400s), and most recently the RX Vega.
So I'm now "3 generations" "behind".

Only in the last few years with AMDs big push for Linux open-source drivers, has this changed.

When I installed Fedora 25 most recently to reconfigure my RAID 0, to a RAID 10, I did not have to use "compatability mode" because the drivers were there. And they worked.

Compatibility Mode simply switches to "VESA" mode.
VESA is a 486 era standard. But newer cards understand it, and it is considered a "software rendering mode" which is why it "works".

Just in case you are not familiar with VESA...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_...ds_Association

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VESA_Local_Bus

Sorry this is a bit all over the place, I'm doing laundry as I type this...

-----

As Far as your games not running on Linux... not everything does, right now.
But if something doesn't work, and I can't get it to work, I give it time.

As it stands, most of the games that would not work on Linux about 3 years ago, didn't work on WIndows XP either. Now many of them do.

I'm closer to running EVERYTHING that I have, than I have been in years.

As a percentage of games that I have, I'm running a greater percentage than I have been since I switched from Win98 to WinXp.

So all I can suggest is, in order of least complexity:

1: Give it time.
2: Try using "Winetricks" to install what the game needs to work. i.e. Dotnetfx, DirectX, etc.
3: If the Wine you have access to is "too old" to run the program, try enabling a "testing" repo.
4: Try a a bit more "cutting edge" distro.
For example: RHEL, Debian/Ubuntu and (I think) MINT usually have "stable" versions.
That takes a year to "update" to all of the new stuff. New stable versions release every year.
WINEHQ releases a new "Testing/Staging" version every 2 weeks.
Fedora is usually 1-2 weeks behind the release on WINEHQ.
Simply because, most of the time, it is "tested" by Fedrora for a week before it is put in the update repo.
ARCH rolls even faster than Fedora.

Again, all easy compared to what you have just done to get your OS running again!
---
And lastly, you have just succeeded with your most recent post, of doing what most computer (and Linux) users do.

You had a problem, you looked for a solution. You found info and help in an unlikely area, and you then proceeded to troubleshoot -with other users- until you found the solution.

The difference? You did it in a new environment. You are getting there Skybird.
It just takes time to "shift-gears" mentally.

You have just gone through one of many. "It doesn't boot", next is "It won't run game XYZ with WINE"...

I'm Sure there will be more.
(And I need to get MINT on a VM so I'll be able to be more help if you ask those questions here!)

Do you remember the first question you had about your DOS/Windows PC???

I forget what mine was, I think it was how do I make a boot disk...? 3.5" floppy era.
Hmm, Maybe that is the safest way to store my data? Nobody can get to it!!!

Barrauda

Last edited by BarracudaUAK; 08-24-17 at 06:40 PM.
BarracudaUAK is offline   Reply With Quote