View Single Post
Old 08-24-17, 04:22 PM   #18
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

SALUTAT VICTOR !

This was a hard and long fight, and I cannot say to have won it all by myself, but random chance and luck helped me out - in the form of a group of students of the local university's medical department, outside the building for statistical data processing. I ran into them yesterday morning while stopping on my bicycle at a red traffic light, and overheard a conversation of four students, discussing the pro and con of Linux on the university'S computer network. I grinned wide on some problems mentioned, since they mirrored my own problems. It was about installation issues they have had for some database stuff, and that Linux is vulnerable to installation issues - an argument two guys made and the other two vehemently objecting.

Thy saw me grinning (somewhat bitterly grinning,I asuppose), and eye contact lead to a humours greeting and words flying back and forth, and I took the opportunity and reported my issues of not being able to istall Linux ISO, from stick or DVD, in normal or compatability mode.

These guys decided to become serious on the matter and turned out becoming truly helpful, and yesterday and today we traded emails on our varying results with downloading several ISOs of 18.0 and 18.2, and trying to install them on four different systems. If I counted it right, we had three different sources, 4 different burning devices and four different systems: 3 PCs and my notebook.

The results of trying to install from these DVDs - one dozen! - is not really a compliment for the reliability of Linux Mint 18. All DVDs refused to boot into Linux Live mode when choosing the option for normal boot. 9 of 12 DVDs refused to boot into Linux Live when booting via the compatability mode option.

My problem of the past ten days? I happen to have none of the winning discs. One guy gave me his burned 18.2 disc, and from this I could finally boot into Linux Live and then reinstall my notebook from scratch. No brokenb hardware at all there, it all works. I also found that the shop did no good job on default configuration, the second drive now is recognised (mounted) by default, some months ago it gave me a fight for getting it mounted and accessible.

The system works smooth now, tomorrow I will do some options tuning and shuffling back some data from the backup sticks.

What is to be learned from this: it is often said, and even is written in my now two books on Linux Mint, that usually installation in normal boot mode would work, and compatability mode only is occasionally needed to secure booting. My troubles of the past ten days or so need to conclude this: you must ALWAYS boot in compatability mode, and even then you run a lottery regarding the disc you use, the source you downloaded from, the burner, the system you boot on.

And this: although we all tried, nobody of us was able to get any USB stick working for booting into Live installation, on any system, with different processors. Not 18.0. Not 18.2.

The combination of used ISO, Mint version (kernel!), and processors, are underestimate din importance, I would say. That is no explanation, I lack the knowledge to explain what happened in the past days, and my long days of failure. I just report the observed empirical facts.

Also noticable from my own observation: 17.2 installs flawlessly, in normal and compatability mode.

I think Mint 18 has some serious issue there.

The good news is: this battle is over, and it was finally won.

The bad news is: my main PC is breaking down, I ice it since two weeks, it becomes instable and sometimes just switches itself off. I tried some days ago to install W7 on the Skylake notebook I use (back then it was Linux-broken), and finally seemed to manage it after having formed a bootable stick with W7 and SP1 and via tool added USB3 support to it, so that it can boot through the various setup screens. However, installation failed, I got no working W7 installation. It seems my plan to use W7 also on newer hardware once I need to replace my game system, is nill and void. I know have the choice between becoming a Spartan ( using only AC on console, and nothing else anymore), or becoming a heretic and traitor (subjugating to W10 as game launching platform). Linux just does not cut it for simulations and gamings, although the situation has improved, but it still does not cut it: I do not want to play the stuff avalabole unde rKinux, I want to paly the stuff I want to play and which mostly is not available under Linux, or makes no sense to run in VM.

And so once again the grumpy Skybird is not happy.

Tomorrow I wll meet three of four young men in their student homes, maybe some friends of theirs and girls as well, and do a big Wok cooking session, something I am really good in. I owe them something. And its been a long while since I last time cooked in a student's kitchen. 25 years or so... All costs for meat and veggies are on me.