View Single Post
Old 02-12-11, 10:47 AM   #3
crackaces
Watch

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Calculations

Thanks for the great feedback Bullethead!

I do not want to get into a disscussion where you inadvertently disclose algorithums or game mechanics. But, what happened in 1916 has to be modeled into 1's and 0's in 2011 for it to work on my PC.

This modeling could be anything between generating a random number that deduces hits (I highly doubt that is what is going on in the code ) to various methods like generating a base accuracy (which could be random number based so it is not fixed) and modifying that number depending on factors like crew training, weather, wind, distance, damage, waves ..etc. Clearly a lot of thought has gone into the design and my suspicions are that the game has taken a lot of work to get more toward the latter but I obviously do not have access to code.

BTW) My thoughts on some base accuracy came from:

Quote:
As has been stated above, gunnery at Jutland ranges was pretty bad, even with the best fire control systems of the day. It averaged 3-5% for well-trained ships and was considerably lower for British attlecruisers. Using the default slider value (20) for gunnery accuracy should give you results of a similar nature (http://jutland.wikia.com/wiki/Gunnery, para. 1)
which I believe I incorrectly attributed to you (Bullethead) my appoligies -- and I think VanDer Tann made that quote?

Besides that I assumed independent trials... there is one other failing in my math, and that is if the penality increases with each ship that targets. I hint at this because I sense now that this is a depedent (on the other ships) calculation.

Anyway -- thank you again for the feedback!
crackaces is offline   Reply With Quote