View Single Post
Old 01-05-10, 08:00 AM   #277
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

Hello Karamazovnew,

first a Happy New Year !

Second thanks for the info, guess i will find out what is going wrong sometimes now.

I recall from interviews and texts that in real U-boats they would have entered the data in the TDC, and then place the vertical line of the periscope to a certain bearing before the target ship's bow.

If the target ship began to pass the vertical line there would be the shout "Achtung" (attention), and when the exact point of impact crossed the line there would have been the shout "Deckung" (for "cover", or "mark" ?), which was then immediately followed by the direct command to fire the torpedo with the command "Fire" by the 1st WO.
There must have been a short time necessary to really get the torp out of the tube, but i guess the shout "Deckung" was then done a short time before the point of impact touching the vertical line, certainly based on experience. With that method it was possible to exactly hit a certain point of the ship like before the bridge or whatever, if all gathered data were close enough.

Were those three rings in the 'scope really used by the German Kriegsmarine ? And this "Attack disk, was it also a german tool really used back then for getting the data right ?

Thanks a lot and greetings,
Catfish
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote