View Single Post
Old 12-29-09, 05:52 PM   #274
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

Hello,
just trying again - so what am i doing wrong. I need a simple explanation of what to do, no multiplying with x if the scope is at 1.5 magnifying. Let's say it is at 6x all the time.
And it seems the target also changes its speed all the time, but let's concentrate on the steps to adjust the right topedo settings panel. I cannot understand it from the manual, sorry.
So let us assume i am at 6x magnification all the time, so nothing to multiply or whatever.

OK, situation is i am running roughly at a "T" course, the enemy ship is 45 degrees right in the periscope, AOB roughly guessed should be 35 degrees to port. So i am running straight ahead, and the target slowly wanders from the right to the left, slowly increasing its AOB to port.
I am moving at roughly 2 knots, target ship an estimated 8 (training U-boat school misssion, second target drone ship).

So first i identify the ship: "Target drone", ahh. Now i guess this is the 1850 ton cargo ship, mast height 24 meters, length 81 (hope it is).

Mast head in the units shown in the 'scope is 5.2 units, ok.
Switch on the AOB wheel, and set the inner dial of the middle wheel at the top wedge, at 5.2 (6x magnifying).

Then search for the outer wheel mast height (24), and read the outer dial units of the middle ring corresponding with the 24 of the outer wheel - roughly 1800 meters distance, ok.

I go to the right panel, switch off this glowing thing and set distance to 1800 meters. I also switch the speed to an assumed 8 knots.

Now i have the distance, and need to get the AOB, which looks to be roughly 45 degrees by now.

I take the length of the ship, it is roughly 13 left, and 13 right from the vertical center line. Since i am at 6x magnif. i add the values and get 26, ok ?

But what do i do now ?

The ship spans 26 degrees. Now i align the 1800 meters of the outer dial of the middle wheel, with the length of the ship, on the outer wheel - meaning i turn the 1800 meters to the 81 meters length of the target ship.

Now where do i read the AOB ?? When i act according to the KiUB manual i would look at the inner middle circle for "26" - which is at a 11 o'clock position of the inner wheel, and there are no numbers - blank steel. Gawwwd.
WTF am i doing wrong ?

edit: ok, didn't add the last lengths, didn't double the span and took now "13" units, thus AOB would be now 58 degrees port (more believable, now at distance of 1000 meters). Fired. All missed.

AM i right that i should tick the light at the torpedo settings panel to "on" again, after entering the AOB as the last change ?

I'm going crazy lol

Greetings,
Catfish
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote