View Single Post
Old 08-17-16, 12:52 PM   #5
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

The main ballast tank (= ballast tank #3) was located within the pressure hull beneath the control room. The two (!) negative buoyancy tanks (not two pairs) were located port and starboard in the "saddle". I do not think they were connected, and i do not know whether they "met" underneath at all.
I have some plans, but none with a section at that point.
Each negative buoyancy tank (=Untertriebszelle) had a capacity of 2,15 tons of seawater.
Will post here if i find something.

Copy from the Subsim meet thread, regarding the procedure for the neg. b. tanks:

From the "Tauchvorschrift für Unterseeboote":

Untertriebszellen

131. Bei Booten mit Untertriebszellen wird wie folgt verfahren: Die Untertriebszellen werden, wenn das Boot alarmtauchklar ist, über Wasser gefüllt gefahren, so daß dem Boot ein der Größe der Zellen entsprechender Untertrieb gegeben ist. Nach der Ausführung des Befehls „Fluten“ und merklicher Falltendenz werden die Untertriebszellen auf den Befehl des L.I. „Ausdrücken“ ausgedrückt.

(131. If the boat has negative buoyancy cells, the procedures are as follows: The U.-cells are being flooded when the boat is running surfaced, and in "ready to submerge" state (edit: alarmtauchklar=all men at diving positions, boat prepared for emergency dive - so .. usual condition in enemy waters), so that there is an appropriate negative buoyancy. After execution of the order "Fluten" (edit: flood the tanks!) and a perceptible tendency of falling, the cells are being blown out by order of the LI (Leitender Ingenieur).

Der beste Zeitpunkt des Ausdrückens für mittlere Boote ist eine Tiefe von etwa 8 bis 10 m, für große Boote eine Tiefe von 10 bis 12 m. Erfahrungsgemäß beruht die Wirkung der Untertriebszellen in erster Linie im schnelleren Durchbrechen durch die Wasseroberfläche beim Tauchen. Da die schnelle Erreichung großer Tiefen fast ausschließlich von der Lastigkeit und der Fahrtstufe abhängig ist (etwa 25 bis 30°, 2 x G.F.), ist es falsch, die Untertriebszellen auf größerer Tiefe auszudrücken, da der äußerst geringe Vorteil in keinem Verhältnis zu der Gefahr steht, in die das Boot in einem solchen Falle geraten kann. Insbesondere steigen der Luftverbrauch und die Ausdrückdauer ganz erheblich.

(The best time for the blowing ballast of boats of middle size is a depth of 8-10 meters, for big boats a depth of 10-12 meters.
From experience the essential effect of the U.-cells is one of breaking through the water surface during a dive. Because the reaching of greater depths is almost entirely dependent of angle and speed (ca. 25 to 30°, 2x all ahead) it is wrong to blow them out at greater depth, because the advantage would not be in due proportion to the danger, the boat will be in. Especially wastage of air and the time of the blowing ballast increase badly.)

132. L.I.: „Ausdrücken“.

Daraufhin wird das Ventil „Ausdrücken Untertriebszellen“ aufgerissen und mit höchstmöglichem Druck (20 bis 30 at) ausgedrückt. [...]

(132. LI: "Blow ballast".
With this order the "Blow U.-cell" valve will be torn open, and be blown out by the utmost pressure (20-30 at). [...]

The general procedure was to have the U.-cells being fully blown at 19 meters of depth.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote