View Single Post
Old 09-28-17, 02:31 PM   #5
BarracudaUAK
Captain

Downloads: 31
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post

@BarracudaUAK: Watch out with the Threadrippers. They are really designed for extreme multithread video editing and similar use. For games Threadrippers aren't as great. They're respectable, just not as good as you might believe looking at all those cores. Game mode turns off half of the cores just for starters.

If your primary reason for the computer is gaming, stepping down a notch or two from Threadripper could cut your cost in half without any cost at all in gaming performance. And that's always a good thing!

I know, I've been keeping a close eye on several benchmark/reviews (in particular Linux based) for a while...

However, your comment is the same comment I heard before dual-core CPUs were the norm.
I mentioned, years ago, about wanting to get a Dual CPU motherboard, and the statement at the time was "games won't use the 2nd CPU because they aren't coded for it".
However: setting program affinity (on an old Dual-CPU or a dual-core CPU) to use CPU-0 for the game, and CPU-1 for everything else, you will end up with a net GAIN in the end.
I used to do this before the AMD patches that allowed games such as BF1942 to run with out the need to manually set program affinity...

I went to a local computer store when I built an AM3 Athlon II 2.8ghz for a family member, and told them I wanted a 4GB stick of DDR3... 1666hmz.

Store: "You don't need 4GB for games...."

They built a new FX-8350 before that AM3 got any upgrades...

Now a dual-core with 4GB won't run most games. Even if the game is OK with 4GB, the processor isn't enough...

So while current games may not make use of it, future games quite possibly will.
Also, the fact that I usually have multiple programs running at the same time will more than make up for it, with the Linux scheduler (wrong name, the program that evens the load on the CPU's Cores).

If I'm modding SH3/4, I usually have S3d open in a prefix, graphics/paint program running, 3d modeling program running, JSGME running to install the mod, then I have SH3/4 running to test changes.

If I'm modding Fallout 3/NV, then add Steam and the Fallout Mod Manager to that, in additional Wine Prefixes...

All the while, never affecting the speed of the game, and I don't have to close and re-open a program... So if I decide I don't like a change that I've made in an editor, it's as simple as "Ctrl-Z" to undo the change. Save>Import to game files>Refresh mod>start game (or maybe just reload the save file).

I appreciate the attempt to help me save a several hundred $$$, but I've been here before! (last "over-built" PC lasted me about 9 years.)

On the other side, some friends and I used to have a little "competition" to see, using Newegg or similar sites, who could build the least expensive PC to play a certain game.

Need for Speed Most Wanted (2005), Crysis, etc. The game that was the "benchmark" changed as time went on. Now it might be something like Overwatch... Kinda like build a running 4x4 or hot-rod for as little as possible. But it must do "X".

We put this constant "arm-chair building" to use on a few occasions when some elderly friends needed a PC on a fixed income. We spec'd the PC based on their needs, then built it within budget.

Also would build "money is no object" systems... On Newegg built a Dual-socket system, SCSI drives, RAID, High-end AGP Video card (Radeon 9000 series or earlier), etc....

Total: $30,000.

Later we doubled the specs for $10,000... after that the prices just kept falling.
No matter what we did, we couldn't get the prices up that high, things were just too cheap!
Which was great for our budgets.

Hmm, I think I know what I'll be doing later, Build the Cheapest PC possible.
Then challenge that group of friends again...

Again, good info, and always good for those that don't know.
I'm still not dropping $1,000 on a CPU...

Barracuda
BarracudaUAK is offline   Reply With Quote