View Single Post
Old 09-20-18, 02:23 PM   #11
tAKticool47
Bosun

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0

Wolfcat ,

I had just brought up your issue the other day. It's a major problem for me, but I understand, the game-makers are all Russian, they understandably bias the game and platforms to Russians.

One of the main issues I have with the American platforms is both lack of modernization (when the Russians all have the latest platforms AND latest equipment) and also the way they use it.

A good example to use is a Wasp-class LHD and maybe a FLT IIA DDG-51.

The Wasp has Evolved Sea Sparrow Missiles [ESSM] (a 25+ mile, superb, short-to-medium range SAM), Rolling Airframe Missiles (RAM, a 5-10 mile point-defense SAM that is considered the best point defense missile in the world) and Phalanx CIWS guns, 2 miles last-ditch. The FLT IIA DDG-51 has SM-2ER (in the game, in real life it would have SM-2s of various blocks and capabilities, SM-3s, SM-6s, etc.) ESSMs, and at least 1 Phalanx. So, let's consider an Oscar-II attack. Let's say they were launched at long-range but not maximum range. 100 miles or so. So as soon as the DDG-51's SPY radar picked up the launch, the AEGIS system would hook missiles to targets. As soon as the machine calculated the optimum launch times & points, SM-2s would start flying out of the canisters. (Note: There are some sources that say US Navy doctrine is to always, always assign at least 2 SM missiles per enemy missile. Let's just pretend it's a 1-to-1- for the game.) So 24 missiles are coming at the formation, 24 SM-2s would fly out. Now the system would know that any missiles that don't get shot down are going to be substantially closer by the time the intercept happens. At this point, the DDG-51 would then start launching ESSMs at the remaining enemy missiles. --- Simultaneously, the Wasp's "Ship Self-Defense System" computer would launch ESSMs as well. Now the SM-2s are extremely capable missiles, and would knock down at LEAST a bunch of the Shipwrecks (which are capable, but, very old technology. It's a big debate. Aegis was designed to defeat the SS-N-12 and SS-N-19 missiles, they were built to kill carriers and US DDGs/CGs.) The ESSMs would undoubtedly take out more. Then the DDG-51 would possibly launch another round of ESSMs if there was time, while the Wasp would launch RAMs -- and it's very possibly possible all of the Shipwreck missiles would get killed, and both of the ships would be backed up final-stand by their Phalanx cannons.

HOWEVER, in the game, what happens is this- The Oscar launches SS-N-19 Shipwreck missiles... the DDG-51 launches a salvo of SM-2s. Whatever the salvo limit in the INI file specifies. Once that group of missiles meets the Oscar's salvo, after all the missiles either hit or miss, the DDG-51 then will possibly launch another salvo of SM-2s. It keeps doing this until it's dead , or runs out of SM-2s. Once it runs out of SM-2s, and if it's both still alive and still seeing missiles shot at it, it will launch ESSMs. Again, it will keep trying until it dies or the missiles or shot down. The Wasp will launch ESSMs until it runs out, then RAMs until it runs out, etc.

The "logic" is flawed, and the missiles are MUCH less effective than Russian missiles. Russian offensive and defensive missiles are *superb* in the game, and American ones *suck* . Plus, they're 20 years or so outdated.

As I detailed in a prior post, I have built carrier strike groups of a Nimitz-class, ALL 3 FLIGHTS OF DDG-51s, (the best guided-missile destroyers in the world...) a Ticonderoga VLS (aged, perhaps, but upgraded and ONE OF the best Air Defense platforms in the world...) a Daring-class Type 45 destroyer of the UK (an amazing, if not smaller, Air Defense platform) AND a French FREMM (one of the best frigates in the world).... they regularly get smoked by any Russian crafts. I can make up old-style Soviet groups of Slavas, Karas, Udaloys, Sovremennys, Krivaks, etc. Smoked. Kirov is invincible. Kuznetsov is like the Starship Enterprise. And the new Russian corvettes and frigates are literally unsinkable by torpedo nor missile.

It's fun but it's not at the same time.
tAKticool47 is offline   Reply With Quote