View Single Post
Old 12-08-18, 06:06 PM   #9
Dirk Gently
Bosun

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 0

This is an obsession, really.

I found a real VII manual online and found the exact Gravity Centre of the ballast on a drawing. A quick X-formula could translate the drawing to real world measurement, which turned out to be 2,796m from the bottom of the keel.

This actually messed up my previous tweaks a bit but the first tests of a "new" tweak is really promising. I've managed to get the sub to keep periscope depth at 1 knot and stationary and at the same time having waves influencing the stability of the periscope realistically.

Since there's no real physics involved in acceleration of the submarines from the propellers at the aft, the bow won't naturally rise from acceleration like in real life, so the aft is unnaturally popping up and the mid section becomes too high in the water as a result.

Due to these limitations the best I can achieve is to make the subs appear to actually have weight and avoid these awkward 10 meter dives in bad weather while maintaining the maneuverability of the sub. The main feature of this last discovery is that the side-rolling becomes much more realistic with the G point placed more or less spot on where it actually was. Pushing down the stern is not achievable without making the sub dive awkwardly and become unbalanced while submerged, sadly.

I'll post an update later tonight or tomorrow.

PS. I'm a math teacher so I trust my calculations but if anyone is curious I can upload a screenshot with measurements and calculations.

PPS. I'm also aware that realistic weight and measurements won't translate realistically into a body of water that isn't behaving 100% realistically but as long as it gets better than the starting point, and I'm enjoying the work, I'm going for it.
Dirk Gently is offline   Reply With Quote