View Single Post
Old 01-01-18, 11:08 PM   #7
Bubblehead Nuke
XO

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Hunt View Post
I'm sure one of our resident submariners could give us a definitive answer, but you'd think going all back emergency would make a heck of a racket. After all, the screw is only optimized to turn one way, and the pumps would probably shift to high speed.
Yes.. it makes one HELL OF A LOT OF NOISE. HUGE "HERE I AM" TRANSIENT NOISES.

In reality you slam the forward throttle closed and open the astern throttle rapidly without regard to cavitation. You do not shift pumps unless ordered. You will answer the bell to the maximum limit of the current plant lineup.

This spins the screw in the opposite direction creating HUGE amounts of cavitation. The idea is that you are gonna hit something anyway and you can at least try to cut down on the damage done in the collision.

While I am on this tangent, if you want to slow down you ring up all stop. The boat will continue in the water but the screw will act as a brake. It is still turning but the drag of the water will slow the boat down. Think of it as coasting in a car. Drag will slow you down. You never, NEVER, NEVER open the astern throttles unless you are in an emergency, docking, or are in restricted maneuvering operation.

But hey.. its a game.
Bubblehead Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote