View Single Post
Old 05-22-11, 09:01 PM   #1
redtyphoon
Sailor man

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
New subsim, OpenSSN, in its early stages

Hi everyone. I'm currently working on a new subsim. It's called OpenSSN and can be found over at http://openssn.sf.net. My work isn't entirely new, it's actually a continuation of the work done by the LinuxSSN team several years ago. It appears they abandoned the project after getting some basics working. Since it's open source I've been able to take what they started and run with it.

At the moment OpenSSN is in the early stages. Players can move about a map, detect AI-controlled ships and subs and use radar and sonar. So far there's no combat and no missions, but I hope to get those features added soon. I'm using the commercial game "Seawolf" as inspiration for the look and feel of the game.

Right now I'm targeting the Linux and FreeBSD platforms, but if anyone wants to take the code and put together a package for Windows, I'm more than happy to work with you to make that happen. The code is pretty portable.

Right now there isn't much to see (sea), but I will be posting updates here as the project improves and I hope you'll chime in with suggestions or send me some patches (if you're a coder).

Cheers!
redtyphoon is offline   Reply With Quote