View Single Post
Old 02-07-15, 05:28 AM   #9
nsomnia
Weps

Downloads: 44
Uploads: 0

After spending the evening watching Run Silent Run Deep again I broke it up by coding a bit... 5 lines worth. The map function starts... it zooms at least.

Just a simple orthographic (2d) camera that changes size. I'm thinking of using a Vector3 (x,y,z) using the x,y to pan and and z axis to zoom.... start with the basics then refine is my process though, if it works dont break it. It'll be a long time before I can get a map system like SH where when you zoom in a level the map gets more detailed. At least not without some very ineffecient code and some HUGE images. After getting the 3d sub layout of ssn571 from an old crewmember however you guys will have a pilotable nuclear sub soon!

Edit: What do you guys think about pie menus on certain items? I was organizing my assets folder (assets are pre-made things you can add to your games, there is over 900 folders and 10,000 files I gave up early) but found a pie menu asset, so I saved this under my ideas folder

"pie menus context sensitive on items?

click on batterys get pie menu to check voltage cross cells etc
click on switch get pie menu for on off that triggers animation
click on tube get pie menu open tube flood tube
click on ballast tank #4 valve get pie menu flood in 100L flood in 500L flood in 1000L max flood purge 100L purge 500L max purge etc."

Today (Yep. When you work from home, Saturdays are work days too), I'm going to work on the pressure hull now that I have drawings and layouts. Get the ship layout setup and to scale. I use kit-bashing heavily (ie. I'll model a single box and use it for panels and siwtches and such or I'll model and hatch and use it over and over and over, I'll model stairs and use them all over, I'll model a switch and use it for 100% of the switches and eventually make a few different variations in later versions of the product)

At this rate I expect to have the first sub pilotable and explorable in 30-60 days with the amount of people I have working with me. Once I have the exterior hull, the interior basics, the sails bridge and basic code (ladder script (already done), simple boat movement script (being worked on), player movement script (already done), and some basic UI elements (working on it), and at least 50% of the interior textured (not started but I have thousands upon thousands of texture files): then I'll release the alpha beta alpha beta demo alpha demo version 0.00000001 .exe for you guys to mess around with.

This post saved for future update room.

Last edited by nsomnia; 02-07-15 at 11:34 AM.
nsomnia is offline   Reply With Quote