View Single Post
Old 03-20-18, 01:48 PM   #12
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Icon8 $$$$!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Wallace View Post
I'm left wondering how much of this accident was the fault of the " driver-less car. "

A human driver makes allowances for the most part for the negligence of other people. This driver-less vehicle may not.
Quote:
What about Uber's self driving truck program ... how long will it last if they hit someone?
I'm of the opinion, as a professional patrol driver and ex- interstate trucker, that any taxpayer has an inalienable right not to get killed by a profit motivated....anything! including driverless cars/big rigs that are experimenting innately with innocent lives on my roadway! I pay good gas and registration taxes and don't fancy being in some geek engineer'$ 'laboratory'
Quote:
Arizona officials $aw opportunity when Uber and other companies began testing driverless cars a few years ago. Promising to keep over$ight light, they invited the companies to te$t their robotic vehicles on the $tate’s roads. Then on Sunday night, an autonomous car operated by Uber — and with an emergency backup driver behind the wheel — struck and killed a woman on a street in Tempe, Ariz. It was believed to be the first pedestrian death associated with self-driving technology.... California requires companies to report the number of instances when human drivers are forced to take over for the autonomous vehicle, called “disengagements.”
Waymo, the self-driving car unit of Google’s parent company Alphabet, has been using cars without a human in the driver’s seat to pick up and drop off passengers in Arizona.
Most testing of driverless cars occurs with a safety driver in the front seat who is available to take over if something goes wrong. It can be
challenging, however, to take control of a fast-moving vehicle. Between December 2016 and November 2017, Waymo’s self-driving cars drove about 350,000 miles and human drivers retook the wheel 63 times — an average of about 5,600 miles between every disengagement. Uber has not been testing its self-driving cars long enough in California to be required to release its disengagement numbers.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/19/technology/uber-driverless-fatality.html

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 03-20-18 at 01:56 PM.
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote