View Single Post
Old 02-03-09, 03:47 PM   #28
Bullethead
Storm Eagle Studios

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janus
I did not want to start an in depth discussion of the DRM at this point. I only wanted to give a feedback about it so you know there are people who would buy Jutland or DG but won't due to the copy protection
No problem. We're well aware that some folks hate DRMs so much that they refuse to own anything (or so they think) with a DRM. Such folks periodically drop by our other forum to flame us about it, and some go so far as to actually lie about having bad experiences with it in an effort to turn away other customers. They also spread such tales elsewhere, which leads to much disinformation. Thus, I'm happy for the the chance you offered here to set the record straight .

I find it humorous that the only DRMs people complain about are on games. I guess that the folks who say they refuse to buy DRM'd products don't realize just how many DRMs they have to deal with every day. Or maybe they just don't have an iPod, a cell phone, a computer, or Windows. Many of the DRMs on these things are QUITE nasty, requiring visits to the shop to solve problems with them. And yet they get on SES for the very benign DRM on our games.

Every day, the use of DRMs increases. I firmly believe that we're living in the last days of discs of all sorts. They've already been rendered obsolete by downloadable software, music, movies, and even books, each with its own DRM scheme. Thus, it's only a matter of time until physical media for all such things go the way of the flint spearhead. Economics will force it--it's WAY cheaper to just have a download server than it is to have a disc factory, printing shop, warehouse, delivery trucks, retail outlets, and the employees and utilities for all of that. Economics are already forcing download-only on us small companies, but the big boys will be next. Until that happens, though, us on the leading edge of the wave are necessarily going to take some flak.
Bullethead is offline   Reply With Quote