View Single Post
Old 02-24-18, 02:25 PM   #2574
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Wallace View Post
I thought this song was an original by the Ventures. Now I don't know who originated it. Great find though eisenwurst.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eisenwurst View Post
Who knows? It's that old Mozart probably wrote it.

Penetration was written by Steve Leonard, the bass player of The Pyramids and released in 1961; The Ventures didn't release their version until 1964 on one of their albums and later they re-released the number as the B-side of their 1966 single Wild Thing. The Pyramids' Penetration was the first hit instrumental surf recording in the US...

The photo of The Pyramids reminded me of their appearance in one of those Frankie & Annette beach movies; IIRC, the film also had a performance by a newcomer in music at the time, some fellow named Little Stevie Wonder...

As a BTW, if any of you who are into surf music and also play guitar, there is a YT channel by a great guitarist, Bruce Lindquist, wherein he has tutorials on all kinds of vintage oldie guitar-based songs and instrumentals, including movie and TV themes; his main specialty, and seemingly his most requested genre, is surf guitar; his lessons are easy to understand and follow; I started following his YT posts after I stumbled across his channel while looking for videos on some old songs a while back; it was rather enlightening: I play by ear and have had to work out guitar parts on my own since my teen years (yes, we did have guitars [and electricity] when I was a lad) and I found I was either spot on or very close to finding the right technique; on some I was wildly off or was using a more awkward method, but I am able to play Honky Tonk Women in standard tuning and make it sound like Keith Richards even though he played it in Open-G tuning; his method is easier, but, after all the work I put into getting that sound in standard tuning, I'm sticking with my version...

Lindquist has just recently posted his tutorials on the Penetration guitar parts...

<O>