View Single Post
Old 04-05-17, 03:28 PM   #11
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threadfin View Post
Well, I think Falcon Gold has Falcon 4.0 included right? So that may be why there are higher CPU specs?
Yes, I think it's that - I don't remember how it's packaged on Steam, but on GoG it's packaged in an odd way (probably for licensing reasons) - it's sold as a pack of Falcon (1.5) Gold, Falcon 2.0, and Falcon 3.0 all together, with Falcon 4.0 being a "bonus item" rather than a core part of the package. F4's license status has been a bit of a mess for a while, so I think everyone (not the least the BMS) team prefer to stay as low-key about dealing with it as possible - although I'm sure that the success of BMS is part of the reason it has gone back on sale now.

But I think you're also right that the specs are higher than you remember for Falcon 4.0 - I'll have to look at my original manual when I get home, but I think when it shipped, it listed a 233 MHz Pentium II as minimum. Considering how horridly unoptimized on release it was though, 1.8 GHz would've been much more realistic I played the thing for at least 5 years on systems waaay below that 1.8 GHz spec though! First on a 400 MHz Celeron, then an 800 MHz Pentium III. I even managed to be part of an online squadron for years - on laggy 56k dialup!

Man, those were the days

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
CCIP is offline   Reply With Quote