View Single Post
Old 03-22-14, 12:45 AM   #45
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by aanker View Post
Interesting, wonder what they were planning - and what they did, and how far they got...

I never bought SH3. Did you? If so, is there a file in SH3 Data\UPCData\UPCCrewData\ named SpecialLocalAbilities.upc or SpecialGlobalAbilities.upc - or these files anywhere in the file structure of that game? Then, sadly, you're correct, as far as just being a SH3 relic...
I have it, but it's not installed atm. I never looked under the hood. Maybe I'll install it and poke around.

Quote:
I was trying to see if Abilities could be added/mixed. That ability is one the Engines-Expert has in Stock, and both need to be in the Engine Room. I don't like Abilities, however I do need one. If there is another way to reduce recharge times, I would like to see how they do it.

I read they couldn't go out on patrol until they could submerge in less than a minute. You seem to have that covered. Nice, no Diving Ability.
I don't have anything against the special abilities, so long as the numbers are reasonable. The shouldn't be too powerful, or too easy to get. They seem to be the only way to simulate later war techniques and skills coming into play.

Diving speed is a case in point. It's been written that diving to PD for fleetboats took ~45 sec. early war, and this was shaved to ~35 sec. later. This was done partly with structural changes to the boats themselves; taking out the Kingston valves, enlarging the openings, and increasing the number of limber holes. The game doesn't give us the structure for having an early war Gato, and a late war Gato. So, everything has to be wedged into one set of files - an average Gato. Having a crewman with a diving speed skill, at least allows some level of improvement, without having to hand edit files.

I dug into the scene.dat file, and was comparing it to what Traveller has in his mod. It's a little confusing. Too many different bits and pieces. I'd be tempted to plug in the values Traveller used, but without knowing something about what all these things do, it could be hazardous.

I tried to get the game to generate wind speeds above 15 m/sec. No dice. The game rudely ignores me. I guess no one has been able to do this.

The main thing I want to do with the waves, is to make them rougher on the boat. When we plough through large waves, little speed is lost. Sometimes the screws will come out of the water, and the speed goes down, but as far as I can tell, waves breaking over the bow don't absorb any energy. Hitting these waves should be slowing the boat, but it doesn't. I was hoping there was some value that could be adjusted, related to that. [I tried changing the rebound coefficient in the zon file, but it doesn't change the interaction with the waves.]

Does anybody have a good understanding of this file?

TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote