View Single Post
Old 12-27-16, 08:17 PM   #2298
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Lurker, I don't dislike the quality of your modding, only CapnScurvy comes close to you in bug free modding. You have great gameplay quality in your mods, with much testing and perfection on conspicuous display.

My disagreement with RSRDC is in its advertisement as a campaign mod when it is nothing of the sort. In addition to campaign modding you have metasticized the mod into every aspect of the game, enemy AI, torpedoes, I've run through the list before. The bottom line is that RSRDC is NOT a campaign mod at all, but a supermod that squishes other supermods.

To be honest, you should have marketed RSRDC as a supermod, based on TMO (I think that's the best flavor of RSRDC) in the same way as my modding team pushes Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate as a supermod built with the foundation of TMO1.7. The players of FOTRSU don't say they are playing TMO, they say they are playing FOTRSU. If they don't like something, we take the heat and Ducimus is not in the line of fire. If someone has an issue with enemy AI they don't say Ducimus sucks, they say WE suck. And sometimes we do!

However, you pretend RSRDC is a campaign mod. In the meantime it squishes whatever mod it's installed over to the point that Webster (smart man) made a patch to correct some of the stuff (I'm sure it's so complicated he couldn't possibly eliminate all effects outside of campaign) that RSRDC changes about the stock gameplay.

You marketed Op Monsun as a supermod. Why not just have been honest and claimed supermod status for RSRDC? It affects all aspects of the game. It is a coherent experience that transforms just about every aspect of gameplay and eye candy. THAT is a supermod.

When someone plays TMO/RSRDC they're no longer playing TMO. RFB/RSRDC? Same. GFO/RSRDC? Ditto. They're playing flavored RSRDC and that's how it should be promoted. Because suppose someone plays RSRDC and notices that the Momo never appears on radar. They think they're playing TMO. They're not. The Momo in RSRDC has no file to show on radar or visual plot and is invisible. It's an RSRDC problem, not a TMO problem. Furthermore, with all the gameplay changes, if they like the balance of the game, it's not TMO they're happy with, it's RSRDC! But they're off telling how good TMO is. They're wrong. They are not playing TMO.

We're not talking about a mod quality problem. We're talking about a gross error in how it is marketed as opposed to its real function.

Of course I have a second problem with RSRDC and usually discuss it separately so conversations can stay focused. Now as far as its status as a "historical accuracy" mod, my disagreement, again, is not toward the quality of the mod, it is toward the philosophical definition of reality. To me reality is something that is created in real time by the interplay of independently operating entities, reacting to each other's moves, exploiting perceived advantages and opportunities, blocking perceived threats. If the war were to run twice it wouldn't run the same way.

There might be no Battle of Midway. Yamamoto might not have formed such an elitist fighter school, restricting access to the point where the Japanese had so few good pilots. Yamamoto might not have been shot down. The fleet on the way to bomb Pearl Harbor might have run into a storm and never launched the attack. America might have decided to follow the lead of the British, making carriers with steel flight decks that Kamikazes couldn't penetrate. Heck, the US might have elected to copy captured Japanese torpedoes instead of captured German ones. Subs would have been twice as effective.

Shipping would follow different routes, Submarines would be designed differently. Every aspect of the war would run slightly differently if it ran again. Exactly duplicating ship movements that took place in a dynamic time thread of the past does not make a historical war. It makes a freeze dried war, which the player can game, and makes the player operate entirely differently than if he were in the real war. Realism is in the thoughts and actions of the player, not in the positions of the ships, or the ratio of torpedo hits, or the odds of being sunk.

RFB under Beery went down that road to madness. You do the math. Of x number of boats on y number of patrols z number were sunk. So dividing number sunk by number of patrols you get a very small probability of being sunk. Fine. Beery toughened and toughened the boat until it was nearly impossible to sink. Realism! Give the man a cigar.

So, the procedure of fighting a Beery RFB boat was to sit at periscope depth and calmly shoot the merchie while the DDs dropped depth charges all over you. It didn't matter. You were almost perfectly safe. Hey, the numbers didn't lie. But knowing the numbers made the player a total farce in "simulating" the actions of real sub skippers. So with RSRDC.

It's a philosophical disagreement on the meaning of reality. I say reality is in relation to the perceptions and actions of the player. You say reality is in the position and route of enemy ships. Has nothing to do with the quality of your mod, it's fabulous. It does exactly what it was designed to do and it doesn't do it well, it does it excellently. I just disagree with its premise and say so. I said so at kickinback in 2009. Nothing's changed about my position. Has made for some interesting discussions.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote