View Single Post
Old 08-18-16, 09:35 AM   #29
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

I can't stay away from subsims for too long I suppose. I recently finished re-reading the book Turning the Tide: How a Small Band of Allied Sailors Defeated the U-Boats and Won the Battle of the Atlantic and am now re-reading Hitler's U-Boat War: The Hunters, 1939-1942. I've been reading nothing but naval books this summer. Got the itch to resume patrol. So I reconfigured my install for Operation Monsun, had a quick bash about the nav training to re-acclimate and set sail from Kiel in U-49.

Hadn't fired a torpedo in close to 2 years, and I was surprised at just how rusty I was. I clumsily went about the business of getting my plot and attack on a lone 4,000 ton freighter in the southern North Sea. Awkward, as I couldn't remember where everything was, but it all started coming back. I was pleasantly surprised when the first two shots hit close to the aimpoints and I declared myself re-qualified for command lol. This ship was making 11 knots so not too shabby.

While the torpedo shooting was satisfactory, my recognition perhaps less so, as it turned out to be flying a Norwegian or Danish flag, couldn't tell in the low light, and I don't know that we are actually at war with either nation. No apparent repercussions anyway.

I recall there is a way to click something and have it go right to the corresponding page in the recognition manual for a ship that you have identified. But I can't remember how. It's so simple, but I just forget. 'Little help?

Edit: Sorted. It was just a matter of clicking on the ship name in the KiUB, which I tried again and again yesterday, but nothing happened. Reloaded the save tonight and it works fine.

Last edited by Threadfin; 08-18-16 at 05:14 PM.
Threadfin is offline   Reply With Quote