View Single Post
Old 07-01-17, 01:55 PM   #2
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapitan View Post

Whiskey and the Experimental Quebec class submarines these submarines were to be a lot larger in size and have much greater range, in fact such was the range of these submarines that at a steady 7 to 8 knots they could almost circumnavigate the globe at the equator, some 20,000 nautical miles.

Foxtrot Class submarine B821 by Blair shaw, on Flickr

I start the free range tour in the Torpedo compartment, today a single torpedo is on display and there is a fair amount of room here although when this submarine was operational it would have had all its tubes loaded with up to another 22 torpedoes ready to be reloaded into the bow and stern tubes.
This is no mean feat getting into one of the tubes is quite a task in itself something of a novelty in reality.

Inside the Foxtrot by Blair shaw, on Flickr

I noticed the cone shape on the torpedo tube's outer door instead of the normal small curved door's on other submarine's. I wonder if this was to accommodate the actual screw of the fish itself, which of course is tampered at that end, meaning that the tube's design would not have to be the full length of the fish.

Surely at one time or another even the Russian Navy had to experience a torpedo hot in the tube that did not complete it's firing sequence. This would've made for a very interesting sea story I'm sure.

Quote:
in fact such was the range of these submarines that at a steady 7 to 8 knots they could almost circumnavigate the globe at the equator, some 20,000 nautical miles.
In theory, but not reality yes!

Good reporting and documentation Kapitan ... you would come in handy for any future movies about the Cold War for sure
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote