View Single Post
Old 08-02-08, 01:10 AM   #48
Stiebler
Fuel Supplier

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 4

@Nirwana:

You have described the 'crash-dive blues', when you have to go at 2/3 ahead submerged to avoid sinking.
This occurs when you interrupt a crash-dive before it has completed. For example, you extend the crash-dive depth from its normal depth to a much deeper depth while still in the crash-dive. Your U-boat settles in a stern-down position, which makes it hard to control. The only solution is to rise again to a depth *above* the crash-dive limit (80 meters for NYGM), then crash-dive again, this time allowing the crash-dive to complete.
The 'crash-dive blues' is a bug found in the unmodified game, but, owing to NYGM's damage model, it is much easier to notice (and much more serious) with NYGM.
The long-term solution is: Never interrupt a crash-dive until you have completed it!
I recommend the following approaches:
1. Crash-dive (key 'C') if an aircraft attacks.
2. Deep dive (key 'D') at full speed if a warship approaches (assuming that the warship has already detected you - otherwise dive very slowly).
The crash-dive goes a little faster to a depth of 80 meters, but the deep dive is much easier to control with warships around.

@rascal101:
I do not know of a list of NYGM-specific mods. Mods made specially for NYGM are usually incorporated into the next release.
I would advise very strongly, however, that you do not add new ships casually to NYGM. Our damage model for slow ship-sinking has made big changes to file zones.cfg, with unexpected results for new ships. If we like other designer's new ships (eg those of Iambecomelife, Sergbuto), we make changes to the zones to fit our pattern.

@Kranz:
NYGM is compressed with the 'ultra' setting in 7-zip. This is to reduce downloading times for those with slow internet connections.
It would appear from your comments that WinRAR does not open files compressed to such an extent. Perhaps in future I had better compress with default settings in 7-zip. But this program is free anyway, so no one is forced to use WinRAR.

@Hitman/Caspofungin:
It would take an enormous effort to transfer NYGM into SH4 + U-boats release 1.5.
At the end of all this effort, we would have the existing NYGM, a little prettier.
That's not much of an inducement to start, is it?
Lurker's Atlantic campaign mod for SH4 uses many NYGM mods and ideas, with our permission.

Stiebler.
Stiebler is offline   Reply With Quote