View Single Post
Old 05-18-18, 01:42 AM   #1
BarracudaUAK
Captain

Downloads: 31
Uploads: 0

Default More hardware failures, Looking for a new Monitor...

I've been checking up on prices lately, and I found a card that I like, for a price that I'm willing to pay.
(Which is = or < than what I have been paying for all previous generations.)

So I decided to go ahead get one this week (still to do, hopefully in the next few days).

However, I decided while I was looking to see if I could find a "dumb" (preferably Vizio) 4k TV to replace my current Vizio LCD TV (Model # E420VO, 42" viewable, 1080p, 60hz) that I've been using for over 7 years.
In that time it never missed a beat, sometimes staying on for well over 24 hours.

However, I was unable to locate what I was looking for... as I scrolled down a page on one of the many sites I looked on I saw something odd.

A small black dot.
So I tried to wipe it off, thinking that I missed a spot a few days earlier when I cleaned the screen.
And it didn't come off.
I carefully slid the mouse pointer, it has a white "outline" around the darker middle, and as the mouse moved over the "dot" it turned black as well....

Dead Pixels!

It's only 2 for now, but if it follows the path my old phone did, it will be a sizable chunk in a few months.

So I took a preventative step, I pulled the Sanyo TV from the "old", and put it on the "new".
Since the Old gets used MUCH less (digging up info when I'm playing on the Xbox 360, or doing an upgrade "test-run" before the main system, etc).

And the 40" Sanyo (39.5 viewable) is so... small, and blurry.
I can definitely tell that the Vizio was a higher quality Display.

Which leads me to my 2 questions.

1: Does anyone have any experience with ACER monitors?

I found an Acer 4k 43" (viewable) monitor but I haven't used one recently.
The monitor in question is the: Acer ET430K

If the answer to question 1 is "no"...

2: Do you know of a ~40+" 4k "dumb" TV/Monitor?

I was looking at the Vizio TV's because they have a processor to "upscale" what ever your PC sends to 4k without the need for the video card to do it, but I'm not sure if this Acer does.

And before anyone asks:
"Do you need one that big?"

Yes, yes I do.

I've gotten spoiled to the screen area, I can reduce the font size and have multiple items on screen, it actually saves desk space!

Plan is to get it after I get the new card so I can actually drive the thing at 4k.

Barracuda

Last edited by BarracudaUAK; 08-02-18 at 11:28 PM.
BarracudaUAK is offline   Reply With Quote