View Single Post
Old 06-11-17, 01:50 PM   #7
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdr1981 View Post
Any SH game should be realistic simulation of submarine operations during the WW2 period. I really don't see how could real navigation mod (optional if you like) in any way "kill the functionality" of the game ?

To be honest, the main reason why I went over from SH3/4 to SH5 is "GPS device" on WW2 subs...Seems pretty unconvincing and game braking to me.

I understand that real celestial navigation mod is not possible in SH3/4 but if there was one, it certainly wouldn't hurt...

Cheers!
Because of the way that the nav map is designed you give up all targeting and tracking with the nav map in order to get celestial navigation. Not only that but you have to feed where you are (and that's what you're trying to work out) to your external planetarium program in order to work the azimuth and altitude of the object you want to use to yield......the same thing you had to feed the astronomy program with in order for it to work.

Not only that but the Earth in Silent Hunter 4 is a cylinder. However all geometry used in celestial navigation is spherical. Could there be some conflict here with wrong results? NAW!!!

No, in order for celestial navigation to work in SH3/SH4 the entire mapping system would have to be reworked, the sky would have to be useful and accurate, you'd have to write a sextant and chronometer into the game, nautical almanacs, proper charts and tools, a rework of the plotting board, radar and sonar would all be involved.

I don't know about SH5 and don't want to know, but I'll bet not much is truly different. The game is meant to be tactical simulation, Not navigational simulation or plumbing simulation or sonar simulation or radar simulation, or even TDC simulation. There is a long way to go in diesel-electric submarine simulation and I'm not sure anybody really wants to go there.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote