Thread: Hey guys!
View Single Post
Old 02-12-11, 03:00 PM   #5
HEMISENT
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 0

I'm kind of new to the tank sim genre as I've pretty much been a participant to the SH end of these forums for years. The WWII sub guys are just plain way over the top in both active participation, historical knowledge and just plain old zealotry(I won't even mention the flight sim fans). I think that this idea or something like it has a ton of merit and I'd love to see some additional life spark up here.

TvT got me started as flawed as it was and I'm still waiting to get a copy of SF but I've been visiting this and Graviteam's site for quite awhile now. The "problem" (probably the wrong word) is that unlike the folks involved in the various Silent Hunter versions, there seems to be only a few really knowledgeable/dedicated/active individuals. I'm not slamming any one or anything simply putting out an observation. I personally don't know enough to be actively involved in historical discussions, altho I greatly enjoy reading them. I do know that I want to learn.

Perhaps, IMHO the biggest road block to more enthusiasm is the theater. It seems that up to now the majority of the recent tank sims or at least the better ones, appears to be made by and geared towards the Russian experience. I for one have had very little interest in the Soviet side of the war and find myself usually playing as the Germans. There really isn't a whole lot out there geared towards the US/British v Axis perspective. That's why I'm excited about an SF desert campaign mod and perhaps one day a mod dealing with the events from Normandy to the end of the war. This could probably do more to whip up new enthusiasm and new blood than a dozen more Russian v German campaigns. I'm not complaining and will happily consider purchasing whatever comes out.

I look forward to any ideas or suggestions and really would like to see a huge expansion here.

Cheers!